making a mango ipa when should i add the mango??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyrobertson

Reaction score
please help should i do it towards end of boil or should i do it before bottling.... im using mangos frozen from trader joes

I've made a couple of mango beers that have turned out well. I always add my mango to the secondary. 1 lb per gallon.

Am I correct in assuming you cut it up into smaller chunks?

Also, 40oz - what kind of "base" beer do you add it to? I'm suspecting the mango might get lost in any hoppy IPA?

When I use mango I cut it up into smaller chunks. The idea being more surface area comes in contact with the beer. That said, my experience with mango is that it is a delicate fruit, lending minor notes to the beer. If you are going to dry hop a beer and/or have big flavor/aroma additions of hops, the mangos will definitely be over powered if not nonexistent.

I just finished up a Mango and strawberry Weizen.. I diced everything up fine, and added it to the wort at about 180 degrees. I let it sit for 20 minutes before chilling. I left everything in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks, and then bottled. I smell strawberry, and taste mango. But, the beer is still young.

Back