Conditioning in a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidiot

Reaction score
I kegged my first brew last week, a dry stout. Before kegging, since I was going to force carb it, I let it sit in the secondary an extra few weeks, for a total of somewhere around a month.

I have had it in the keg for about a week and it is starting to hit the right spot in carbonation but the flavor is still off. It has a lot of the flavor that I want but with a definite sour flavor. Is it just green? Does it just need to sit in the keg for a few more weeks (it is under pressure and in a fridge) to age? My last bottled beer had some sour flavor but by the time it was carbonated that had gone away(it took close to three weeks to carb). This one has aged longer than that one did before it tasted good.

I probably just need to relax, I am past the point where I stress during the brew(in face my last one went near flawlessly), but I guess I still need to work on stressing after the brew.
Thanks.

Bike N Brew said:
Assuming you were in primary for a week, you're just hitting 6 weeks total (1 + 4 + 1). So yeah, wait...

I just did the math, it looks like I made it 8 weeks ago last Sunday and it has been in the keg and cold for about a week.

As much as I tell myself to relax, this sour taste still worries me.

Stouts can take a LONG time to get their proper flavour. I would just forget about it for at least a few more weeks and brew something else to take your mind off it.

RDWHAHB! I brewed a coffee stout last July. The thing was not really ready until December. I let it sit in the secondary almost 8 weeks, then forced carbonated it and let it sit in room temperature atmosphere for another 4 weeks, then placed it in my fridge for another 4. I tasted it throughout the process and the longer it sat the better it got. Man it was one of the best brews I made to date.

So I suggest that you RDWHAHB! It will be awesome! Guaranteed!

- WW

We are drinking a green Stout, and it is 3 months old. Still a great beer, but it still needs time. We have 1 pint every 2 weeks just to track it.

bradsul said:
Stouts can take a LONG time to get their proper flavour. I would just forget about it for at least a few more weeks and brew something else to take your mind off it.

I already got two going, I am running out of places to put it. I was just getting worried because it was my first keg. I will relax, need to finish off this keg off this keg of Fat Tire before my dubbel is done anyways.

Thanks for talking me down.

Back