im afraid i might have over-roasted my red ale..someone please help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
so i made this beer before i knew that crystal 120 L and 90 L are most of the time used in small portions for coloring and a roasty flavor. my recipe is...(please don't laugh"

West Coast Red Ale

Partial Mash

1 lb. U.S. 2-row pale malt
1 lb. crystal 20L
2 lb. crystal 40 L
1 lb. crystal 90 L
1 lb. crystal 120L

steep at 150 for 45 minutes, sparge with 20 quarts water at 170

3 lb. extra pale lme
1 lb. munich lme

1 oz chinook 60 min
.25 oz hallertau/saaz mix 15 min
1 oz centennial 5 min

white labs california ale yesat

i was wondering how roasty will this brew turn out? i love st. rogue red ale and rogue's santa's private reserve ale, those are the only ones i have tried that will be similar. would anyone reccomend dry hopping with cascade or centennial to balance to roastiness out?

This won't be rosty. Crystal is usually pretty sweet, obviously the higher crystals impart a little different taste such as caramel, or burnt sugar/raisans especially on crystal 120L.

I am thinking you are going to have an extremely sweet beer, that won't attenuate really well. In fact, I would be shocked if this turns out to be something you stomach....Just saying.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake. But hey on the bright side, this is what brewing is all about...trial and error.

the chinook were 12.4% AA...the last batch i made had 3 1/2 lb. crystal and i loved it i could have wanted it maltier. but should i dry hop this batch?

A pound of crystal 120 alone is going to be VERY prominent in a beer, let alone with 4 more lbs of other crystal. You might have to just bite the bullet on this one and write it off. Or perhaps you could make a light but hoppy beer and try blending some of the first beer in.

hold on yall i gave yall the wrong recipe im sorry.

the grains were

1 lb crystal 20L
2 lb crystal 40L
1 lb crystal 60L
1 lb crystal 90L
1 lb 2-row

i dont know if the pound of 60L rather than 120L would make a difference...but my last batch had 3 1/2 lb crystal and it wasnt near too sweet for me???

I still think 6lb of crystal is too much...Think that is nearly double what you liked last time. Not having 120 in there may help, but honestly I think it is still going to have an over the top pronounced caramel flavor.

I bet your gravities will stay nice and high with this one. But, never know. You might like the way it comes out. Let it do its thing and try it once it is done.

its only 5 lbs of crystal too, not 6. not saying that 5 isnt a lot, it is. but i love how 40 and 60 crystals taste...it might just be something i really like. i will definately dry hopthe hell out of it probably 3 or 4 oz cascade? any opinions?

You seem really set on dry hopping all that does is add aroma no biterness. If you wanna dry hop throw in a oz of your choice, but I would let this beer ride out and see what happens. If you like it rock on if you dont move on! brew something to take your mind off this batch.
Edit: if you are all about making recipes look into making 1 to 1.5 gallon test batches if its horrible your out 10 bucks and some time if its amazing scale it up.

Believe it or not, dry hopping also adds a perception of sweetness. Your original hop schedule might actually make this drinkable because you should be over 50IBU. While the beer is still going to be sweet and thick, it just might be balanced enough. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the alcohol content to cut through all the caramel also.

Would it make a difference in bitterness, if he made a hop tea and added it to the wort?

A little different than dry hopping. Never done it myself. Just my guess, but I'm thinking it would be of little effect, since the added hop tea didn't isomerize with his original wort.

Back