Will OG being high be an issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I brewed the following recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/simple-hefeweizen-186432/

While replacing the 5lbs DME with 6lbs, and 1oz 4%AA hops with .7oz 4.8%AA hops.

When I put this into hopeville the recipe said it would come out with an OG of 1.53. I read the hydrometer multiple times cleaned it read it again and again and it came in at 1.062 with temp conversion. Will this be an issue? I used Dry Danstar Munich yeast, and have fermentation is set for 68-71 degrees.

P.S. I did come in slightly below 5 gallons which I know caused some of this....but I just went with the 4.8 Gallons and said screw it as I didn't want to add water.

It should be fine. You'll just have a little more abv in it is all. You probably boiled it down a little too much and could fix it by adding distilled water and top up to the five gallon mark. Or you could just leave it be and still have a great brew.

You had another post where you asked about hops additions, and specifically said you bumped up the DME addition to get more ABV. It seems you were successful ;) Sounds like it will be good to go.

You had another post where you asked about hops additions, and specifically said you bumped up the DME addition to get more ABV. It seems you were successful ;) Sounds like it will be good to go.

Lol I know I know, I was looking for an OG of about 1.053, not 1.063 though. Sounds like it'll be fine though!:mug:

6 lbs of DME + 8 ozs crystal in 4.8 gallons = 1.058 max. You can't get any higher. If you used pure sugar you would only get 1.059. Either your hydrometer is reading wrong (can check in water), your volume is wrong, or your wort was not fully mixed.

What if he just boiled it down further, like cooper mentioned- if he were at less that 4.8 gallons, couldn't he be at a higher OG without equipment failure? (honest question- making sure I have the correct understanding!)

What if he just boiled it down further, like cooper mentioned- if he were at less that 4.8 gallons, couldn't he be at a higher OG without equipment failure? (honest question- making sure I have the correct understanding!)

If that is a question for me, I think I had that in my response "Either your ...., your volume is wrong, or .........."

You are correct in your understanding.

6 lbs of DME + 8 ozs crystal in 4.8 gallons = 1.058 max. You can't get any higher. If you used pure sugar you would only get 1.059. Either your hydrometer is reading wrong (can check in water), your volume is wrong, or your wort was not fully mixed.

^this...with extract, there is generally little room for variation in your OG unless your volumes are off. A known amount of extract dissolved in a known amount of water will yield a known OG. Deviations from expected OGs should only become an issue when you start doing all grain (or partial mashes, to a lesser extent).

I would say the volume is wrong. That 4.8 gallons was a complete guess by the large sharpy marks I have on my carboys, nothing more.

I will also check my hydrometer, I did do this before I used it when I bought it, but that's the first time I ever used one, so we'll see.

I'm constantly boiling too vigorously and end up undershooting my volumes and thus getting a higher OG than I wanted. Most of the time I just leave it be and enjoy the brew and tell myself that I'm not going to have such a rolling boil the next time around.

I'm constantly boiling too vigorously and end up undershooting my volumes and thus getting a higher OG than I wanted. Most of the time I just leave it be and enjoy the brew and tell myself that I'm not going to have such a rolling boil the next time around.

Yeah that's exactly what I did as well. How much volume do you usually start out with for a full 60 minute boil? I started with 6 gallons which came out perfect last time, but this time it was slightly below 5 gallons.

I usually try to start out with 6.5 gallons and then boild down to somewhere between 5 and 5.5 going into the fermenter. The last time I started out wiht 7 gallons and boiled hard and ended up with maybe 4.5 gallons, it can get away from you pretty easily. The main thing is to brew often and you'll get to where you know your system really well and can tell where you're going to be at the end of the boil. And if you get a new pot or new burner than you have to learn it all over again.

Back