Starsan questions from first time user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
I have brewed 6 times using only a cleaner (Carlson Easy Clean), never a sanitizer. Just recently learned the difference between cleaning and sanitizing and bought some Starsan. (I should note that I have never had a problem with the finished beer due to my lack of sanitizing.)

Let's say I mix up a 2 1/2 gallon Starsan solution to sanitize my fermenting pail, thermometer, hygrometer, wort chiller, etc. Is that mixture now "used up" or can I save it for a couple weeks and re-use it on my bottling bucket and bottles?

There are all sorts of warnings on the Starsan bottle about ingestion, skin contact, etc. Can I assume that since rinsing is not required, that I needn't worry about skin contact with the diluted solution?

Thanks.

1) The solution will keep as long as it is clear, and not cloudy. Even when cloudy it is still usually fine, but a pH reading of 3.5 or lower is the only way to know for sure once it has become cloudy.

2) Correct, once it is diluted you need not worry about skin contact. If your skin does not like the acidic pH, then you can always wear gloves. The warnings are kind of standard for products listed as disinfectants federally.

I use Star San. Apparently you can use it until it turns cloudy (using distilled, RO or filtered water will prolong this time period).

Don't worry about skin contact, etc.

I've heard you can drink it straight - not that I'd ever do that.

Listen to the i-view with Chuck Talley the inventor of Starsan, and hear him describe the goals he set forth in making it,and how to use it effectively.
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

You'll find a lot of good info/tips to effective sanitization here; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/ in cluding how you should get rid of your dry powdered "pseudo sanitizers" in favor of the afore mentioned, no-rinse, wet contact sanitizers like starsan and iodophor. Including how to store it and reuse it and every other question you may have.

1) The solution will keep as long as it is clear, and not cloudy. Even when cloudy it is still usually fine, but a pH reading of 3.5 or lower is the only way to know for sure once it has become cloudy.

My well water is very hard and the solution clouded up immediately. I mixed up 1.25 gal using 1/4 oz so I guess I won't worry about saving it. My 8 oz bottle will mix 32 batches. That should last me for several years. :D

I have a quick and maybe silly question. Is it 5 US gallons or Imperial gallons to one ounce. I'm assuming 5 US gallons.

Back