Farrrrrrrts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uhh.....seriously? That's a thing? Or is it a gag?

Ha, looks like a joke to me, air usually takes the path of least resistance so most of your gas will go around and not through. It might work if you jam it between your cheeks. ;)

OT: Took a couple years before my gut fully adjusted but what really kicked things into high gas production was yogurt with lunch and beer at night. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that old yeast (or yeast that have been reused or harvested over and over) would cause more gas

Ha, looks like a joke to me, air usually takes the path of least resistance so most of your gas will go around and not through. It might work if you jam it between your cheeks. ;)

OT: Took a couple years before my gut fully adjusted but what really kicked things into high gas production was yogurt with lunch and beer at night. :mug:

I've basically had non stop farts since I started brewing nearly 3 years ago... I don't know if there's ever a "getting used to" for me.

My wife left the bed and slept on the couch the other night because she said I was farting in my sleep. I slept great. More home brew for me!

It's not the yeast.

It's oligosaccharides. Sure, yeast has some oligosaccharides; but riddle me this...... how many farts do you get from beans? No yeast there, but plenty of oligosaccharides.

Dry, low FG (and ABV), and filtered beers have very little oligosaccharides. Aka, less farts.

It's not the yeast.

It's oligosaccharides. Sure, yeast has some oligosaccharides; but riddle me this...... how many farts do you get from beans? No yeast there, but plenty of oligosaccharides.

Dry, low FG (and ABV), and filtered beers have very little oligosaccharides. Aka, less farts.

Man, these guys don't care. This thread is all about legendary fart humour. You should have knew it wasn't serious by the way the OP spelled Farrrrrrrts. ;-)

It's not the yeast.

So this must mean Pabts Blue Ribbon is unfiltered...

Sure, yeast has some oligosaccharides; but riddle me this...... how many farts do you get from beans? No yeast there, but plenty of oligosaccharides.

You understand more than one thing causes intestinal gas, right?

Broccoli: High in fibre, will cause gas.

Milk: High in protein, will cause gas.

Whey powder shakes: High in whey protein, will cause gas.

It's not the yeast.

If I drink a couple (dozen) of the BMCs, then next day I get a serious case of laser farts (they cut through underwear). I think the long chain sugars are a part of it, but the yeast plays a major part as well. If I have one of my big yeast driven beers like a saison I made, 2 of those, the next morning I'll wake up with a 40 second fart chambered, I can feel the wind and air pressure coming out of the toilet the fart is so forceful.

And the saison is very dry without much long chain sugars left over.

I have Crohn's, and while I was told specifically to stay away from beer I have not been able to. I enjoy it too much :) My Wife is always complaining about the smell, but it gets even more rancid after homebrew...

Gas is normal. The average person farts 18 times per day. Some of those 18 are loud farts. Some of them are even juicy.

But if your farts are making people cry then there is something wrong with the balance of flora in your gut. I mean I fart all the time and I've never ran anybody out of a room or made SWMBO run for cover.

Yeast is beneficial for the health of your gut, not detrimental. So are germs. Some of you live in too clean environments. The only time I ever wash my hands, for example, is when I make up a bucket of sanitiser to do a batch of something. I leave food out overnight and eat it the next day. I've been known to leave a pot of chili out for 2 days and still keep on eating it.

I keep my eggs out on the countertop for days on end. I eat real butter every day, fry my eggs in it. I don't eat packaged foods, so I greatly reduce my intake of things that I can't even pronounce.

I wash my frying pan sometimes. Mostly, I just wipe it out with a paper towel.

Eating a clean diet and not trying to be "hygienic", I think, keeps your gut in better shape.

Like an oil well, you need a blowoff tube and a way to flare the methane. This time of year the gas could be an ass-et if you could capture and burn it for heating fuel ;-) A friend of mine used to run his car on wood gas he manufactured at home..... Running your car on "ass-gas" would be kind of cool ;-) Might take awhile to accumulate enough though.

H.W.

Then you could make some real money with your homebrew being an Uber driver...

from my buddies' wife who is a dietician/nutritionist-

homebrew farts mainly from yeast. these are not the same yeast you regularly have in your guts, so they can cause some disturbance if they crash your gut party. can also be from unfermentables as these will be eaten by stuff in your guts.

BMC farts- typically they are from drinking too much, which annoys the lining of your intestines. long story short- intestinal lining stops keeping everything inside intenstines, gets leaky. no bueno. this is the "sour" beer fart. ( this also happens on a small but chronic, daily level from emulsifiers, which are in a ton of foods- ice creams, processed foods with dairy, salad dressings, etc.)

also- she noted that one of the worst things you can do for your health is eat a ton of food, drink a ton of beer, and then pass out. since your body sees alcohol as a toxin, it prioritizes dealing with it over the processing of food. so basically, your food can start fermenting and going a bit rotten in your guts since its passage is slowed down. beer butt, sour farts, hangover diarrhea, etc.

from my buddies' wife who is a dietician/nutritionist-

homebrew farts mainly from yeast. these are not the same yeast you regularly have in your guts, so they can cause some disturbance if they crash your gut party. can also be from unfermentables as these will be eaten by stuff in your guts.

BMC farts- typically they are from drinking too much, which annoys the lining of your intestines. long story short- intestinal lining stops keeping everything inside intenstines, gets leaky. no bueno. this is the "sour" beer fart. ( this also happens on a small but chronic, daily level from emulsifiers, which are in a ton of foods- ice creams, processed foods with dairy, salad dressings, etc.)

also- she noted that one of the worst things you can do for your health is eat a ton of food, drink a ton of beer, and then pass out. since your body sees alcohol as a toxin, it prioritizes dealing with it over the processing of food. so basically, your food can start fermenting and going a bit rotten in your guts since its passage is slowed down. beer butt, sour farts, hangover diarrhea, etc.

So you are saying we can turn into a cow at night and ferment our food in our stomachs? Sign me up!

Last night I had one of my beers that I was taste testing to make sure it was ready to bring in to work tomorrow. I just poured half the bottle in without a cold crash and needless to say was working up a good sized bubble gut. My wife decided she wanted to lay on top of me (just cuddle) and we started laughing. Well her laughing shook up the gas and it released. Her laying there trapped it in so she didn't think much about it until she got up and all that gas escaped, she ran for the hills...

Hellava thread on fartiness!

The book "Water" on page 150 says that high levels of sulfate cause many people gastrointestinal distress.

Says max should be 500 ppm.

You guys know Martin B and AJ D. are part of that book! I was stoked to see that!

Somehow, that sounds familiar. Something about farts & throwing blankets...;)

How exactly did the Dutch figure out you can bake something by doing that, anyway? It does rightly explain a "Dutch baby", however...

:p

Strike a lighter under the covers and you'll understand it's rooted in antisemitism and nazis.

Latest posts

Back