Trying an Abbey Ale some advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yosemite Bing

Reaction score
Just ordered the following below. Want to make a Abbey Double or Tripple. I am a novice at this with a couple of pale ales and stouts under my belt. Does anyone have any advice or comments?
Also, it is the summer and I am concerned about the heat. The house ranges from 70 to 85 during the day. Should I be concerned?

I did not include honey but thinking about it, any comments?

Thanks,
Gene

product ordered:
Product: Special B Malt - 1 lb.

Product: Aromatic Malt - 1 lb.

Product: Munich Light Malt - 1 lb.

Product: Saaz Hop Pellets - 1 Ounce

Product: English Dried Malt Extract - Light 6 lbs

Product: Belgian Candy Sugar - Light Belgian Candy Sugar 1lb.

Product: Irish Moss - 1 Ounce

Product: Hallertau Hop Pellets - 1 Ounce

Product: WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast - Trappist Ale Yeast

Product: Northern Brewer Hop Pellets - 1 Ounce Limited Availability

This looks eerily similar to the Dubbel I brewed this weekend. I used amber and Munich LME rather than the DME you plan to use and I used Lyle's Golden Syrup but the other ingredients are the same (I went a little lighter on the hops). I also felt that 6 oz of the aromatic was enough but I'm a n00b too so I'll leave it to others to pass along their recommendations. Good luck!

You might want to go to the introductions section and introduce yourself.

You could sider setting up something for temp control, like this...

brewcloset1.jpg

It's a rubbermade bin, I have an aquarium thermometer stuck on the side of it in the water and I use frozen 2 liter and smaller bottles of water to chill the water in the bin. Adding a fan blowing on the t-shirts will help lower the ferm temps even further...I can get my fermenters down into the low 60's in my loft this way.

That seems like a great idea. Thanks for it. Now I need to steal a rubbermaid from the wife. Wish me luck

Latest posts

Back