Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a hint: if there's a national commercial for it, especially during the Super Bowl, it's a macro brew

Like Blue Moon or Third Shift

Or shocktop or reds apple ale (both of which spring out if freakin no where with large marketing campaigns.)

I once heard that enough beer makes "homely" womenz gorgeous !

:)

beer-goggles.jpg

I think it is kinda misleading that they don't have their name on the package or website. I didn't realize it wasn't a craft beer until I read something about it. I don't care who makes it, I just think an informed consumer is a better one. I don't drink it anymore anyway, but not because millercoors makes it. Wheat beers now give me heartburn for some reason.

I just thought it was funny that someone thought that it was bad enough to ruin their life [emoji53]

I just thought it was funny that someone thought that it was bad enough to ruin their life [emoji53]

I wish only the absolute worst for the ****** who filed the lawsuit. If his taste is so ****-tier that he can't figure out how awful Blue Moon is regardless of its marketing and placement on the shelf, then why does the knowledge that they are really a crappy macro make a damn bit of difference?

What does this have to do with funny things You overheard about beer?

DUH

You had to be there...it looked like an episode of married with children. First, I under-estimated remaining amounts of grains & had to tweak the recipe a bit, griping at myself for doing so. Then, when I was pressing on the grains in the colander above the kettle with the lid, it slipped into the kettle & sploosh! At least a pint of wort went everywhere. Then my son was breaking up the big bag of ice while I was on a stool in front of the boil kettle. Some ice went bouncing away. Then, my right (read good leg) went to sleep, & when I tried to get up, the stool slipped, I grabbed the oven door handle in an attempt to catch my self. I then proceeded to do the splits...OWWWEEE! Went down & slammed my head into the sink cabinet, hard. So I'm laying there like a turtle on it's back, I can't get up. I yelled for three of my sons to help me up. I finally get things done in the kitchen, get the kettle of wort into the brewery...no rehydrated yeast! Dammit, now I gotta wait for that to get going. My back hurts enough to where I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up, changed cloths from smelling like sweet beer, & here I am. My head & neck hurt a bit,..but looking back it is kinda funny to envision in my mind's eye...

Do all subsidiaries have to say on the label who their parent company is?

It's not required and, increasingly, there is more crap-craft on the shelves trying to cash in on trends. I suspect some of these breweries never existed (or never turned out a product good enough to stand out) before the recipes were farmed out to macros or contract brewers in order to fill the shelves with the newest "craft" beer in town.

That said, I don't think this is worth suing over. If the guy likes the beer, he's really suing because the moral superiority of drinking craft has been taken from him. Or because his friends made fun of him, like we'd do on this thread. Next time the guy should do his homework... or maybe just enjoy his beer free from concern about the judgement of others.

This whole Blue Moon thing is only great because I dig it any time someone tries to piss in the big guys' wort kettle... I just love me a David and Goliath story...

The lawsuit itself has no merit...just a guy with a little extra time and money who figured it would be fun to kick the shins of a big corporation and make a little news for himself, get a little 15 min of internet fame...

Yes, I know, amazing quality control, consistency, "you-couldn't-brew-a-light-lager-without-flaws-if-you-tried..."

I submit it's more local pride than beer snobbery that most of the commercial beer I buy and drink is locally or regionally distributed, and comes from a company that has less employees all told than Budweiser has in their marketing department....

This whole Blue Moon thing is only great because I dig it any time someone tries to piss in the big guys' wort kettle... I just love me a David and Goliath story...

The lawsuit itself has no merit...just a guy with a little extra time and money who figured it would be fun to kick the shins of a big corporation and make a little news for himself, get a little 15 min of internet fame...

Yes, I know, amazing quality control, consistency, "you-couldn't-brew-a-light-lager-without-flaws-if-you-tried..."

I submit it's more local pride than beer snobbery that most of the commercial beer I buy and drink is locally or regionally distributed, and comes from a company that has less employees all told than Budweiser has in their marketing department....

The next time I choose a product based on the size of the company that makes it will be the first.

My selection criteria:

1. Is it a good product?
2. Do I want it?

That's it. This liberal "but big corporations are the devil" mess is puzzling to me.

The next time I choose a product based on the size of the company that makes it will be the first.

My selection criteria:

1. Is it a good product?
2. Do I want it?

That's it. This liberal "but big corporations are the devil" mess is puzzling to me.

Yes. This.

My selection criteria:

1. Is it a good product?
2. Do I want it?

I have to agree, if it's good and priced right, buy it. If it isn't good and cost too much for the quality, leave it there.

Why care where it came from. Big business keeps this country strong in the down times and keeps hundreds of thousands of people working when the crap hits the fan. If your favorite beer is a Coors light why should it matter to anyone else?

If a micro brewery makes crap beer they deserve to go out of business, if they put out a quality product that pleases most of those who buy it, they are likely to do very well, and may even grow into a macro like Boston Brewing did.

When Blue Moon was first on the shelves, I bought some thinking it was a legit craft beer. Drinking it I thought "Wow, this is pretty crappy beer". Later when I found out it was produced by Coors I was kinda pissed that they suckered me out of some of my money. I'm with this guy suing. It's not a craft beer, it's closer to BMC than it is to a real Belgian beer. They shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as if it were.

When Blue Moon was first on the shelves, I bought some thinking it was a legit craft beer. Drinking it I thought "Wow, this is pretty crappy beer". Later when I found out it was produced by Coors I was kinda pissed that they suckered me out of some of my money. I'm with this guy suing. It's not a craft beer, it's closer to BMC than it is to a real Belgian beer. They shouldn't be allowed to advertise it as if it were.

I don't recall them advertising it as a craft beer. And furthermore, the guy who is suing is suing because he LIKED the beer until he found out it wasn't craft beer.

I agree with you @uatuba, but I'm telling you if I have a choice between a big national corporation and a local guy, I'm going to pick the local guy every time. Scotts doesn't treat my lawn, I have company that is a town over from me and employs people who live in my town. I may buy Kellogg's cereal, but if there was a local guy who made corn flakes, I would absolutely buy from him instead.

And @Billy-Klubb has it...my political feelings have nothing to do with it (I have no party affiliation, and have voted for both Repubicans and Democrats as well as Independents based on their stance on certain issues, particularly local ones, over the years.) Yes, @uatuba, it is about your ideals! The fact is I can't stand how huge corporations can have a monolithic market share, yet still have to feel the need to act like threatened rabbits, and start throwing money around, buying up craft brands, etc. The whole problem with big business is that at some point, they all seem like they are fighting for monopoly, and there is value to having diversity, yes, even in the business world...

@Kirkwooder...I have no problem if someone wants to drink whatever...it's just my self-apponted job to make them aware that they have other options, and that there are better, local belgian wit-esque beers out there. Rivertowne here in Pittsburgh has Grateful White, and I drank one last night. Rather than supporting a huge corporation, I think it's better to be supporting the local businesses that have local investment.

my view on big corporations vs small business depends on what I'm buying

I am NOT going looking for artisan toilet paper, so I pick up a 12-pack of Cottonelle Ultra at Wally World for a decent, low price

I prefer my beer local and I like the fact, through homebrew clubs and frequent patronage, I know the brewer and he knows me.

I won't turn down a beer distributed from the Left Coast, because I would be missing out on some very tasty brews. but I would have to have no other choices, or not have to pay to drink a macro. not because they're made by faceless corporations or mislead consumers or whatever; it's just there's so many better and (nearly) limitless other choices.

yeah, yeah, consistency, blah blah, the bottle of BMC rolling off the assembly line in Williamsburg right... NOW... will taste nearly exactly the same as one from the factory in St Louis 25 years ago, blah blah.

big effin whoop

Ooh! Has someone started a thread about which beers have labels that are easiest to remove & which ones are most difficult?

Hmm...

it's not just a "liberal" thing. I knew a lot of republicans and wanna-be anarchists that hate how big corporations operate.

Outside of taking a real moral stance, that's not a good reason for selecting a product. Again, outside of a real moral stance.

My server at Old Chicago Pizza and Taproom made a comment about how he couldn't believe they were able to pull off putting milk in beer when I ordered a Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout.

You know, if you don't learn to use the search function on this site, you will be as shunned as a leper in biblical Palestine...

I've learned how to use it. Notice I didn't start a new thread...

;)

I was just typing out what I was thinking at the time.

:)

Or my developement! A few have been busted already for being easily used to get the down payment on there homes. And they laughed at me for being honest.

Latest posts

Back