Overprimed, are bottle bombs a legitimate worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyGuy

Reaction score
The kit I am using (Barons) says to prime with 3/4 cup of dextrose for regular carbonation and 1 cup for highly carbonated beer.

I just realized that the package of dextrose I got from the shop was 1.5 cups. I thought the guy said to add the whole package, though I may be wrong.

Either way, I did add the whole package, which is twice the amount needed for regular carbonation levels. Should I be worried about these bottles exploding?

It has been eight days since I bottled and I just realized I did this today. I cooled and opened one on day 5 to see how it was coming along and the beer was already carbonated pretty well (and delicious). I was surprised, but chalked it up to me being a natural at brewing beer. :D

Since they have made it to 8 days without incident, should I be worried about exploding bottles?

Also, how long does it usually take before a bottle bomb goes off? How long before you are in the clear?

Thanks

Are you sure it was 1-1/2 cups? I can see being told to add the whole bag, it would really be an anomaly to be given a bag with 1-1/2 cups.

Yep, definitely 1.5 cups. I've got a second bag here for my next batch and I dumped it into a measuring cup to double check.

Oh, I just realized I didn't mention that this is a 23L (6 gallon) batch.

Put them in the fridge
Open carefully
Drink em fast

You've got around 5 volumes of CO2 there, not many bottles will withstand that.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of weigh our priming sugar. I use 4 ounces by weight for 5 gallons. Some sugars are more finely granular, so they would take up less space in a measuring cup while a coarser grain would take up more room. So, 4 ounces by weight could be anywhere from 2/3 cup to 1 1/2 cups.

Did your sugar have a weight marking on it?

Using this widget, a conversion factor for dextrose of 0.6g/ml and a volume of 23L I'm getting a C02 volume of 3.4

Is that better? What C02 volumes do standard 12oz bottles break at?

Funny story. My wife calls me one night when I was out of town on business, scared out of her mind. She says she "heard a gun shot go off inside of the house". After a brief conversation I told her to go upstairs and see if the was liquid in the closet. She did, and there was. Told her to clean it up put a towel under the case and close the door.
When I came back I emptied every bottle wearing a face shield and a rubber apron. THEY DO EXPLODE AND THEY CAN HURT. I'm not saying yours will, but they might. Be cafeful!

I used eight ounces of cane sugar before for four volumes. Cane sugar produces more CO2 than dextrose. Bottles can hold four volumes but it's pushing it.

If you bottled five gallons at 68F with eight ounces of dextrose your going to get close to 3.8 volumes. You should be fine, but watch out.

Back