Stepping up without decanting for yeast with low flocculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I have a 1L starter of Wyeast 3711 going. it's been in the fridge since Tue night and it looks like there's still a good amount of yeast in suspension. Wyeast lists the flocculation as low so I'm assuming I'll be waiting for a while if I want it all to settle out.

I'm wondering if I can decant most of the wort without losing too much yeast or if I should step it up to 2L by adding another 1L of 1.080 wort (the first liter was around 1.040).

Does that even make sense? I'm assuming 1L of fermented 1.040 wort plus 1L of 1.080 unfermented wort isn't the same as 2L of unfermented 1.040 wort but will it give me similar results? Or should I just decant as much as I can and add a fresh 2L?

I would add more wort to the existing starter. It seems to me if you decant while there's still yeast in suspension, you're going to be primarily losing the least flocculant cells - which are the ones that are still around to get those last couple points and clean up.

Back