pacman yeast death?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what temperature will pacman yeast die? I'm brewing some apple cider (1.080sg) with pacman yeast saved from my last batch of beer. its been a bit cold in my house so i put the fermenter in a closet with a small heater on low. worked fine for 4-5 days and this morning i turned the heater up a bit and forgot about it. i came back and the closet was hot and the beer wasn't bubbling anymore. i took the temp with a meat thermometer (not accurate but the only thing Ive got) and it said the beer was just under 100 degrees. the lack of bubbles could mean that the fermentation slowed but i was worried that the yeast will have died. if this is not the case, will this excess heat have any other adverse effects on a cider?

Take a gravity reading. It may have finished fermenting at the higher temperature, but you should definitely expect a lot of off-flavours from a ferment that high.

i put it in the 2nd fermenter last night and took a reading. still have a reading of 1.030 or so. what is a good sg reading to bottle at so it isn't too dry and so the bottles wont have too much fizz?

Take a gravity reading. It may have finished fermenting at the higher temperature, but you should definitely expect a lot of off-flavours from a ferment that high.

I agree. I am a brewer at rogue and we ferment at a very low ale temp(Pacman likes a low temp.) Yeast generally won't die at that temp but is won't taste as good.

I agree. I am a brewer at rogue and we ferment at a very low ale temp(Pacman likes a low temp.) Yeast generally won't die at that temp but is won't taste as good.

How low is too low? I have a porter on pacman that started out at around 60 F and now after about a week and a half the basement has dropped to about 51. That is probably too low for the yeast to still be cleaning up right? Should I just move it up to my middle floor where it is about 70? I don't have an option of a temp in between....

Latest posts

Back