American Barleywine Recipe (my first orginal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangelove

Reaction score
Howdy,

This will be my first all-original recipe. I plan to pitch onto yeast cake so I don't have to make a gargantuan starter.

Any/all comments appreciated.

Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.117 SG
Estimated Color: 16.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 100.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.1 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.2 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.2 %
2 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 4 8.2 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 4.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.0 %
3.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 87.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 15. Hop 8 13.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body

Drop the carapils completely. You'll have no problem having a full body with a beer this big.

If I'm reading your post correctly - you're going to do this as a BIAB & shoot for a 78% efficiency? That seems optimistic from what I know about BIAB - but I'm certainly not the expert.

Efficiency goes down with really big beers. It takes a few tries to nail that down.

With my system on the super high gravity beers I only get about 68-70%. With normal strength beers I'm closer to 80%.

2lbs of carapils + 2lbs of other crystal + "full body" mash (that's what, 156-158?) = FG in the 30s or 40s

If that's what you want, I won't stop you, but you should know what you're getting yourself into. If you want something that finishes like beer, instead of cough syrup, I'd also drop the carapils and mash around 150-152. You definitely have a hop schedule that can stand up to a high FG, and keep some balance, but if it were me, I'd still make those changes. Don't forget to make a stupid big starter.

So you're saying to drop those 2 grains? Can do. My plan for the yeast is to make an APA and then pitch onto the yeast cake.

Strangelove said:
So you're saying to drop those 2 grains? Can do. My plan for the yeast is to make an APA and then pitch onto the yeast cake.

You can keep the crystal. I'd just drop the carapils

Back