Coopers IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love2brew

Reaction score
Hello all

I have the coopers IPA extract kit I will be making in a few days. The kit calls for 500g DME light and 300g corn sugar. In the reviews I have read this will produce a low gravity for an IPA.

My question is, will I benefit if i forget about the corn sugar and go with 2lbs light DME? Muntons spaymalt light? Are there any ways I can improve on this kit. I am making this for my grandparents and want to make them proud! lol I have done a few kits with mixed results and i have a pot big enough to do the whole 5 gallons at once. I will be using the coopers yeast provided.

I would not boil the coopers extract. It kills the flavor. boil just the water needed like the directions state. I would either go with 2 lbs light malt and half pound dextrose or just all DME. are you doing 5 or 6 gallons? 6 gallons usually calls for 2.2lbs fermentable or I kg. if metric. I only use the extract kits and I notice the beer is better with DME. I have started going 3lbs for most of my kits and use 1.5lbs dextrose and 1 to 1.5lbs dme. I like a little extra alcohol in my brews.

So i can use my 1lbs of DME and half pound to a pound of corn sugar on top? Sounds good to me.

What kind of OG should i expect. I will be making 5 gallon not 6. And like i said im not boiling at all. I will just bring to a boil, stop it and add the stuff.

Coopers kit
2 pounds DME
19 liter batch
This should yield good results with around a 1.047 O.G.
Add 250 grams of sugar to bump up to 1.052

Cooper kit
2 pounds DME
19 liter batch
This should yield good results with around a 1.047 O.G.
Add 250 grams of sugar to bump up to 1.052

+1 to this. The kit will certainly end up a lot better with using the DME rather than dextrose which will thin out the flavour and body of your brew. Remember though that the IBU and flavour will drop with the more fermentables you use. I would do the can plus 2-2.2lb DME and make it up to a 5 gallon batch to get the most out of it. Then I would have a look for recipes on here and do an extract one from scratch for the next one, its a lot easier than it sounds. Trust me, people will be impressed with your beer and it is likely the hardest judge to impress will be yourself :mug:

Back