Getting started with kegging without freezer/fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
I'm currently working out in california and I want to keg 2 brews and take them back to missouri and set up a keezer. This way I can get some instant gratification once I have my keezer set up.

I'm looking at:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7742

But I have no idea what the difference between using a manifold or not is. Eventually I plan to put together a collar with some nice taps, but those kits seemed like a decent starting place, but I'm open to suggestion.

Also I was planning on carbonating using just priming sugar to avoid having to fill a co2 tank. Will the kegs seal this way? I'm just concerned of how safe it would be to drive with a packed car and a full co2 tank. Would this be an option if co2 is needed to seal the keg: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_271_275_273&products_id=1197

In short:
Manifold or double dual gauge regulator?(or other options to get a system together)

Do I need co2 to seal the keg? Are there alternatives to filling a whole 5lb tank?

Is it safe to drive a long trip with an almost full co2 tank?

Is there anything I'm overlooking? After i primed and filled the kegs I was just going to have them sit in a closet until I transport them

The dual regulator setup lets you have two different pressures. A manifold, only one. not a big problem.

If you put some keg lube on the o-ring, the lid will probably seal ok. Worst case, you force carb later.

I wouldn't drive with a full CO2 bottle. Not in the summer CA to MO.

That's definitely something to think about, but I know alot of people who carry them in their offroad rigs all the time.

Thanks for the link Meyer, that was something I was concerned about.

So there should be no issues with the keg sealing from simply priming with sugar(no co2 shot in from a canister)? I don't want any beer messes from transporting a soda keg

Teh problem is , how will you dispense the keg without CO2? the priming sugar will carb and give you some pressure...once you bleed that pressure off by dispensing, the beer will go flat as CO2 comes out of solution to fill the headspace in the corny.

just like drinking a half bottle of coke, recapping it, and leaving it in the fridge. it'll be dead flat in short order.

Teh problem is , how will you dispense the keg without CO2? the priming sugar will carb and give you some pressure...once you bleed that pressure off by dispensing, the beer will go flat as CO2 comes out of solution to fill the headspace in the corny.

just like drinking a half bottle of coke, recapping it, and leaving it in the fridge. it'll be dead flat in short order.

Oh, once I get to mo I plan on setting up a kegerator and then I will dispensing using co2 with a keezer.

I just want to have the kegs carbed and ready. So after I make the drive back I can dispense them once the keezer is set up.

Back