Gasket Question - Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time kegging and first time brewing in 10 years.

I have 3 brews currently, two are ready for the keg.

I bought a 20 lb tank, complete kit and 3 cornies.

Trouble is I didn't get a tank gasket with my kit and I think the people at the welding shop gave me the wrong gasket.

The one I have is the grey one in this picture:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/042405-o2fires-1.gif

It doesn't seem right as it doesn't line up with grooves or self center.

Crud, I was looking forward to enjoying the beer soon (read tonight after using Papazians rapid force carbonating method) but this seems a bit of a setback. SO, at best maybe late in the week.

Any good info appreciated.

-ultra

I am not sure by what you mean by tank gasket. Is this to go between the tank and the regulator? You may not need a gasket depending on your setup.

Just looks like it wound be brass on brass to me.

I asked the lady at the welding shop about which side the washer/gasket should go on and she said on the regulator side.

The regulator side looks the same as the tank side, brass with a little ring-groove.

Their called frangible discs, and you can get them where you get your tanks filled. They don't really "line up", just stick it in there and tighten. Be sure to soap the connection to check for leaks.

Huh, neat, frangible discs.

I actually went out to my parts bin and found a washer that worked great.

There is an additional step in my system actually as I fill paintball tanks so if there's ever a leak I only lose one little tank, not the whole 20# tank.

Yup, soaped it up and sealed fine. There's a small leak in another portion which I will address before my next fill.

So that little grey washer is a frangible disk?

I read they were called quad gaskets or something as well...

Back