what do your dried bagged hops look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_in_WI

Reaction score
when bagging up my hops the other day, it seems like the petals of the cones fall completely off the stems. Is this normal or did I let the cones get too dry before bagging them? It also seems like a lot of the yellow lupulin fell through the drying screen onto the floor below. Am I just paranoid?

TIA
Chuck

Commercially dried hops are in the same condition - a lot of the cones falling apart. You do lose some lupulin, but there is still plenty to go around.

My homegrown hops are not quite that dry and they are carefully handled. Last night I was cleaning hops on a table on my patio. The table was sticky with lupulin in my work area.

I have been laying down wax paper under the screens, when I process my hops, to collect all the Lupulin that falls through. Prior to vacuum sealing the bags, I dump the pollen in.

Prolly a wasted effort but it makes me feel better.

I have always used pellet hops and it amazes me how much pollen collects in the crevices of the baggies.

I have been laying down wax paper under the screens, when I process my hops, to collect all the Lupulin that falls through. Prior to vacuum sealing the bags, I dump the pollen in.

guess I'll be the jerk who points out that lupulin isn't "pollen". (the cones are female flowers) :D

Mine look like this.

12 oz of dry hops fill a 5 gallon bucket. I then compress the hops down with the food saver. It's hard to believe they fit in that small of a space when compressed.

Mine look like this:

plugs2.jpg

I compress them into one-oz plugs using a PVC pipe and a length of clothes rod. Sure saves freezer space!

Tim

Prolly a wasted effort but it makes me feel better.

I have always used pellet hops and it amazes me how much pollen collects in the crevices of the baggies.

This is a good idea. When I use my hops I'll dump some warm wort into the bag to get the rest of the glands out. Works great.

You guys have some nice looking harvests!

Hey Tim with the 1 oz plugs!!

gimme more details on the process. I currently have 13 little pillows of 2.0 to 2.4 oz per bag that will take up a fair amount of space in the freezer, even after I "seal a meal" them down.

Do you line the PVC pipe with saran wrap or what do you do? what diameter do you use for your clothes rod? This sounds like a nifty way to make plugs. Okay, I will say it, a frugal way to make plugs.

Please share more details.

Chuck

I used "found materials" - I didn't have to buy anything, so, yeah, frugal. The PVC pipe is 1-1/2" interior diameter, and the clothes rod is nearly that, but not quite. There is in fact a fairly significant gap between the edge of the dowel and the inside of the pipe, which is good, I think. I also took a 1-1/2" hole saw and cut a circle out of 3/4" plywood to act as a "plunger" at the end of the dowel. The pipe is perhaps 2-1/2' long, the dowel maybe a foot longer. I don't line the pipe at all - it's clean enough. I fill the pipe with hops (1 oz requires that I press them down a bit about halfway through, but just enough to give clearance for the rest), then I put the plywood "plunger" in the top, insert the dowel, and press down. I just put my weight into it, and press down and twist a bit, I don't pound or hammer. Before I begin, I lay out a piece of plastic wrap that's big enough. There's no cap on the other end of the pipe, it's just pressed against a plastic table. Then I pick it up carefully, hold it over the plastic wrap, and slowly press it out while holding one finger over it to keep it together. As the plywood plunger comes out, I can grab it with the same hand, so the plug stays together while I lay the pipe/dowel down, then I can use both hands to wrap the plug in plastic wrap. Once that's done, I've then been wrapping them in tinfoil before freezing them in Ziploc bags. That's about it!

that is cool.

I will try that next year. I may even take a couple of my 2 oz bags this year and give it a try.

Thanks

I used "found materials" - I didn't have to buy anything, so, yeah, frugal. The PVC pipe is 1-1/2" interior diameter, and the clothes rod is nearly that, but not quite. There is in fact a fairly significant gap between the edge of the dowel and the inside of the pipe, which is good, I think. I also took a 1-1/2" hole saw and cut a circle out of 3/4" plywood to act as a "plunger" at the end of the dowel. The pipe is perhaps 2-1/2' long, the dowel maybe a foot longer. I don't line the pipe at all - it's clean enough. I fill the pipe with hops (1 oz requires that I press them down a bit about halfway through, but just enough to give clearance for the rest), then I put the plywood "plunger" in the top, insert the dowel, and press down. I just put my weight into it, and press down and twist a bit, I don't pound or hammer. Before I begin, I lay out a piece of plastic wrap that's big enough. There's no cap on the other end of the pipe, it's just pressed against a plastic table. Then I pick it up carefully, hold it over the plastic wrap, and slowly press it out while holding one finger over it to keep it together. As the plywood plunger comes out, I can grab it with the same hand, so the plug stays together while I lay the pipe/dowel down, then I can use both hands to wrap the plug in plastic wrap. Once that's done, I've then been wrapping them in tinfoil before freezing them in Ziploc bags. That's about it!

This sounds like a great way to package a harvest. I am a first year grower and didn't really think about how I would store them until they were in the ground. But this seems what better than buying a food saver or anything like that.

Do you get any freezer burn or anything like that or are they sealed up good enough to prevent anything like that? Oh and if you pic answers my question I appologize, I am at work and can't see it.

Back