Vittle Vault Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you see the one that they're selling at one of the LHBS for nearly 100 bucks (when you can diy it for around half that?)

Take a lesson from theirs.

TuffTank22.jpg

I would just drill a small hole in the lid and attach a (iirc) 5/8 grommet for the airlock, and if you wanted a spigot do it on one of the straight sides.

Post a pic when you are finished.

:mug:

I'm going to invest in one of these for 10G batches. Looks like the perfect solution.

I'm going to invest in one of these for 10G batches. Looks like the perfect solution.

Yeah.....I'm thinking something similar.....

Also wouldn't it be "INTERESTING" if there was a way it could somehow modded to work like a conical, with a valve to drain trub, and a spigot for the beer? I don't know how...but it would be interesting.

I'm sort of thinking the same thing. What if you could put it on a golf cart? Maybe somehow use that to make one of the bottom corners the "conical".

Yeah.....I'm thinking something similar.....

Also wouldn't it be "INTERESTING" if there was a way it could somehow modded to work like a conical, with a valve to drain trub, and a spigot for the beer? I don't know how...but it would be interesting.

I'm sort of thinking the same thing. What if you could put it on a golf cart? Maybe somehow use that to make one of the bottom corners the "conical".

You mean something like this?

1858133_1.jpg

Yeah, maybe, I'm trying to picture how the corner we want would not be blocked....

Hey, I never thought about something as simple as using the corner...but yeah!!!

See, when he said golf cart, I envisioned this gasoline powered, turbocharged mobile brewstation. Ohhhh, that kind of golf cart.

Also, I notice it seems to have handles along the top. If there are handles on all 4 sides, it would be pretty neat to suspend it from the ceiling. It would be easy enough to prop it on it's corner like that, just different lengths of rope for each side.

I have a theragram m bottle of vitamins in my office that I never remember to take, but it looks exactly like avittles vault..I keep lifting it and tilting it and trying to figure what would be best...rope support would be great for those who can do that...like in a basement, but that's out of the question for me...I'd have to come up with a wood stand...kinda like the one in the DIY conical thread.

You mean something like this?

1858133_1.jpg

Yeah, maybe, I'm trying to picture how the corner we want would not be blocked....

Hey, I never thought about something as simple as using the corner...but yeah!!!

Yep. That's what I was thinking. Maybe find a table or shelf or something to set it on so the port would be accessible. Doing this might take up a lot more space than a brewer might want though. A conical would certainly be a more space-conscious move, but cost $200 more (plastic) or $400 more (steel).

No, this is a good idea. Keep working it, this could be the next big thing!

I'd like to do this, but I don't want 10G batches, so a smaller one would be fine for me.

What you need is a stand that can be folded up and hung on the wall or put away when not in use. Unless you will never have it not in use...

What is the weight of 10G of wort... assuming water is 8 lbs per gallon, that will be 80 lbs of weight and then some bit more. I think you might not want 80 lbs hanging from the ceiling.

I've seen barrel racks that are basically welded angle iron and that stuff is pretty cheap and can be had quite often at the metal scrapyard for not much and it's easy to work with if you have a welder and some cutting tool.

The dimensions for the 8 gallon size total 2548 c.i. and 10 gallons is 2310. Unlses my sources are inaccurate. So the 8 gallon size is actually suitable for 10 gallons??

You know I actually have 2 vittle vaults in my house. One holds my grain for brewing and the other holds my dog's food. I had never thought of using them as fermenters. I think my main reason for not thinking of it has to do with the insides not being smooth. They have divots in the bottom near the feet, and there is a very clear raised seam on the inside. I would think those would collect some bugs over time.

Did you see the one that they're selling at one of the LHBS for nearly 100 bucks (when you can diy it for around half that?)

Take a lesson from theirs.

TuffTank22.jpg

I would just drill a small hole in the lid and attach a (iirc) 5/8 grommet for the airlock, and if you wanted a spigot do it on one of the straight sides.

Post a pic when you are finished.

Thanks, will do. I'll probably hold off on the spigot for now. I have a self priming low temp pump on the way I'll use for racking.

You know I actually have 2 vittle vaults in my house. One holds my grain for brewing and the other holds my dog's food. I had never thought of using them as fermenters. I think my main reason for not thinking of it has to do with the insides not being smooth. They have divots in the bottom near the feet, and there is a very clear raised seam on the inside. I would think those would collect some bugs over time.

Yes, I'll definitely have to do a good job of cleaning it before sanitizing. Luckily, the opening is fairly large allowing plenty of access and vision.

I like the golf cart idea. I was thinking of picking up one of those cheap hand trucks they sell at the hardware store for moving it around. As someone else mentioned, that is a lot of weight. I'm going to fill it with 10 gallons of water and practice moving/lifting before I brew.

Two 2x4's or some other boards with a space between them. The vault sits on them diagonally with the spigot over the space between the boards. Then the back of the boards is raised up to angle the vault forward, lowering the corner with the spigot downward.

Bungee cords or straps can be attached to hold the vault to the boards.

Back