Hi from South Korea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
Hi folks,

as the title says I'm from Korea and I spent my college years in UK where I was introduced to fine beers. Oddly enough I've never been a fan of beers for a while because all I knew was rubbish mega giant industrial beers and I just could not understand why would anyone drink them.

(Long story short, Hite, OB and Cass are like the BMC in Korea)

I also enjoy hard ciders (as my nickname suggests) by the way.

I've always been very passionate about cooking, which naturally
led me into this. The situation wasn't just for me, but since I'm more settled
down and can take advantage of space etc. so I've finally decided to do it.

As for the style of beer, I like ales that has rich malty flavour with smooth hop flavour and weissbier.

Suppose I'll start with more of the traditional style, but will start to using local (Korean) ingredient. Currently, my biggest interest is making use out of traditional Korean malt used for making a malt drink called 'Sikhye' and water from Jeju island where it has seen a great potential as water for brewing beers.

Off topic, but I'm really suprised that Korea doesn't have a history of beer. Koreans have used malt for making taffies, snacks, cooking, malt drinks etc. etc.

I'll keep you guys updated with my process and wish me a good luck!

Welcome BarleyandApple. Like you my love of cooking stoked my interest in home brew. It will be interesting to hear how you make out with your local ingredients. Good luck!
:mug:

Great to hear your enthusiasm! You have an amazing opportunity: you are beginning the history of real Korean beer! Keep tweaking your recipes and your methods, and you will make awesome beer.

Best of luck! I know of at least 1, maybe 2 homebrewers who are in SK teaching English right now. No idea where they are in SK, but I could probably hook you up if you're interested.

The only place where you can drink real beer that is brewed in Korea are brewpubs, the only 'legal' way for small scale breweries to operate. Fortunately the good ones are excellent. The only complaint is that their style are German and Czech beers. Fine by me as I LOVE weissbiers, but when I want a good ale, I get lost.

About the Korean liquor law.. don't even get me started, but let me say that it will make you think 'is this written for conglomerates or what? after reading it.

Back