What type of mash for this brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Getting into my first PM soon and im using beersmith. Where it asks for which mash profile I want, Im not sure what i need to do. Heres the grain bill ive made up. Its for a porter.

3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain
0.75 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain

Also whats the "step temp"? Is that the temp youre shooting for once the water is added to the grains?

Single infusion, 155 degrees F, 60 minutes should work just fine.

Step temperature usually refers to step mashes where you have several target temperatures with rests at each one. In BeerSmith, it refers to the target temperature for each "line" in the mash section. If you only have one line, that is your target temperature for the entire mash.

Thanks, that was one of them i thought i should use.

Is it safe to say that for most PM's, that is the mash profile to use?

EDIT ....would that be a SI batch sparge, SI no mash out, or just the SI? There are many options on beersmith.

Don't lower the efficiency to %30.....set up Beersmith for batch sparge, follow the directions in the Beersmith printout, and you'll get 70+% efficiency.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
keep in mind you should lower your efficiency in beersmith to 30% for partial mashes since you will not be sparging like a full AG brew.

This sounds really low. Even no-sparge methods should get 50% or so. Nothing to say that he can't do a mini-sparge by running some hot (170°-ish)water through the grains post-mash, too. I'd make an assumption of around 50% - 60% for the first batch and then adjust according to your results (since the extract will give a known amount of sugars).

Back