Formulating a starter wort? (looking for a scientific/mathematical answer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
I’m planning a double stout and was curious about formulating a starter wort. I’m looking for 8-9%ABV and will obviously be crafting a starter work for my yeast soldiers. I’m planning to use Wyeast activator Irish ale 1084

Is there a formula for determining the specific gravity of the starter wort I’ll need to start my yeast out for such a big beer?

Like wise is there a formula for how many billion cells I’ll need and how to determine that?

In a nutshell, you're shooting for ~1.040 as an INITIAL starter. If you do something other than a "normal" gravity ale, you'll want to step it up to something bigger, though. If you're OG is going to be over 1.060, you'll want to step it up, volume and grav, from there.

Like wise is there a formula for how many billion cells I’ll need and how to determine that?

Yes. You're looking for 1 million cells per milliliter of wort to be pitched per degree Plato.

How to figure it:

Degrees Plato are roughly equivalent to 4 points of specific gravity. Thus, 1.048 is as close to 12ºP as makes no difference.

5 gallons is as close to 19 liters as makes little difference (18.927). That's 19,000 milliliters.

Thus, for a wort of 12ºP you need 12 million cells per ml. 19,000 times 12,000,000 equals 228,000,000,000 or 228 billion cells for proper pitching.

I suggest you ferment your starter fully and harvest the slurry from the flask. 1 ml of fresh slurry contains about 1 billion cells. So, continuing our example, to inoculate a wort of 12ºPlato you need 228 ml of yeast slurry.

Make sense? All you need to plug in is the OG of your 8-9%ABV stout, and you can easily figure how much slurry to make with your starter setup.

Good luck!

Bob

Yes. You're looking for 1 million cells per milliliter of wort to be pitched per degree Plato.

How to figure it:

Degrees Plato are roughly equivalent to 4 points of specific gravity. Thus, 1.048 is as close to 12ºP as makes no difference.

5 gallons is as close to 19 liters as makes little difference (18.927). That's 19,000 milliliters.

Thus, for a wort of 12ºP you need 12 million cells per ml. 19,000 times 12,000,000 equals 228,000,000,000 or 228 billion cells for proper pitching.

I suggest you ferment your starter fully and harvest the slurry from the flask. 1 ml of fresh slurry contains about 1 billion cells. So, continuing our example, to inoculate a wort of 12ºPlato you need 228 ml of yeast slurry.

Make sense? All you need to plug in is the OG of your 8-9%ABV stout, and you can easily figure how much slurry to make with your starter setup.

Good luck!

Bob

Bob,
Suddenly it's all making sense. I don't know why, but the way you explain it makes it simple. I've even done the calculations on paper, and it didn't make as much sense as your post.

Thank you.

B

I’m planning a double stout and was curious about formulating a starter wort. I’m looking for 8-9%ABV and will obviously be crafting a starter work for my yeast soldiers. I’m planning to use Wyeast activator Irish ale 1084

Is there a formula for determining the specific gravity of the starter wort I’ll need to start my yeast out for such a big beer?

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

thanks for all the info. i did a little more searching online at work so with all of this i think i have a solid foothold for my high gravity yeast starter.

thank you all

Bob,
Suddenly it's all making sense. I don't know why, but the way you explain it makes it simple. I've even done the calculations on paper, and it didn't make as much sense as your post.

Thank you.

B

B,

Glad I could help! Figuring it is really just a series of steps. Take it step by step and you're good to go!

Bob

Latest posts

Back