I need help with picking out LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsmith12

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to brewing beer (4 brews to date), and I need some help. I've been looking at cloning a Westy 12, after some research I need light/pale (pref pale) LME, and Pilsner LME. I need 6.6lbs of each, which I know will be expensive.

My question is..Which brand has a Pale and Pilsner LME? or which extract would be comparable the Pale and Pilsner LME? I'm sorry if this question is difficult to understand, like I said, I'm still new at everything! Thanks for all the help guys!

I follow your question, except for this part:

Which brand has a Pale and Pilsner LME? or which extract would be comparable the Pale and Pilsner LME?

LME is an extact. Pretty much every brand is going to carry a 2-row (sometimes called pale, sometimes light) and a pilsner LME (sometimes called extra light). As long as it is from a reputable maltster, I think all of the major brands are fine. Most important thing will be to get it fresh.

Haha thanks MalFet, I didn't think I was making sense when I wrote it either.

I get it now, I've been looking for an extract that says Pilsner or Pale specifically, when really it's been in front of me the entire time.

Would Muntons Connoisseurs Range Pilsner extract be okay for the Belgium Westy 12 clone I want to do, with say the Muntons Light Liquid Malt Extract as well? Any extract brands you recommend with a Pale Malt or Pilsner malt?

Haha thanks MalFet, I didn't think I was making sense when I wrote it either.

I get it now, I've been looking for an extract that says Pilsner or Pale specifically, when really it's been in front of me the entire time.

Would Muntons Connoisseurs Range Pilsner extract be okay for the Belgium Westy 12 clone I want to do, with say the Muntons Light Liquid Malt Extract as well? Any extract brands you recommend with a Pale Malt or Pilsner malt?

Hmm...the Munton's connoisseur stuff looks like it's made from continental pils (which is good, as abbey ales tend to use continental), but it appears to be pre-hopped. Is that what you are looking for?

The main thing is to read the descriptions provided by each brand. Brand X's light might be equivalent to Brand Y's extra light, but Brand Z's pale. Since you're a midwesterner, what about something like this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...-syrup/northern-brewer-pilsen-malt-syrup.html

Generally, if you can, doing all of the hopping yourself will go a long way to giving you good beer. Not that you can't make good beer with pre-hopped kits, but designing your own hop schedule will give you more control.

Yeah, I didn't realize the Muntons was pre hopped, that's definitely not what I'm looking for. The Northern Brewer extract looks good, I might do that. Thank you for all the help MalFet.

Munton's also makes un-hopped malts Called "plain" on the label. That's the ones I use (save for being the DME version). I combined plain extra light Munton's with a canned (albeit pre-hopped) LME. Throw in some more hops at the right time,& it's good.
So the extra light (plain) that I used would be a pilsner style malt. I love the Munton's malts they give a good aroma to the batch I'm bottling Sunday. Chompin at the bit to try it. It smells so good,between the aussie LME,The English DME,& US hops...:rockin:

Yeah unionrdr, I've heard a lot of good things about Muntons. If the extra light (plain) malt from Muntons is a pilsner I may use that for the Westy 12. Thanks for the help!

Back