How to scale down HUGE recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
So I contacted the head brewer at Rock Bottom Brewery near my house and he was nice enough to give me the recipe for Double Down Imperial IPA.
the only problem is that the recipe is for a 7bbl batch! I have no idea how to scale this recipe down. Can somebody help me?

Also, I don't know if it's rude to be posting this recipe up. If anyone knows if I am breaking proper beer etiquette, please let me know and I'll take the recipe down immediately. Thanks!

Here is the recipe he sent me in the email:

Malt bill********** Mash temp 151 F***** OG 18.5 Plato********** FG 2.2 Plato* Fermentation temp 68F
2 row** *********** *********** 91.6%************ 600lbs
Biscuit*********** *********** 4.2%************** 27.5lbs
Light Munich type 1** 4.2%************** 27.5lbs
Hop Bill********** 90 minute boil
1st addition at start of boil
Columbus ***************************** 24oz
2nd addition*** 60 minutes into the boil
Simcoe********************************** 16oz
Amarillo********************************* 16oz
Centennial***************************** 32oz
3rd addition** at kettle off
Simcoe********************************** 16oz
Centennial***************************** 32oz
Cascade******************************* 16oz
Columbus****************************** 8oz
Dry Hop after 3 days fermentation added to the fermenting beer.
Simcoe********************************** 48oz
Cascade******************************* 48oz
I used our House Ale yeast strain which is a private strain but Wye Yeast 1272 Scottish Ale is a good substitute.

Thanks River front. I kind of figured out the grains on this one. I was doing it partial mash. I figured so far:

90% Extra Light DME
5% Biscuit
5% Light Munich

It's the hops I'm not sure about.

Thanks River front. I kind of figured out the grains on this one. I was doing it partial mash. I figured so far:

90% Extra Light DME
5% Biscuit
5% Light Munich

It's the hops I'm not sure about.

you might have to tweek the hop additions i have heard that bigger batches have higher hop utilization

According to Ratebeer.com the Double Down IIPA is 110 IBU's. Does this help at all? I am gonna play around with this in Beer Calculus and see what I can come up with. Be right back! :)

Let me know what you think. Ok, so here's what I have so far:

OG 1.074
FG 1.019

7.3% ABV

6* SRM

110.1 IBUs

8 lbs. Extra light DME
6 oz. Biscuit malt
6 oz. Munich Malt-10L

(Using Pellet Hops)

1.75 oz. columbus @90 minutes
0.75 Simcoe @ 60 minutes
0.75 Amarillo @ 60 minutes
1.25 Centennial @ 60 minutes
1.25 Centennial @ flame out
0.75 Simcoe @ flame out
0.75 Cascade @ flame out
0.75 Columbus @ flame out

DRY HOP

3 oz. Simcoe
3 oz. Cascade

Wyeast 1272

The recipe says the second hop addition is 60 minutes into the boil, or at 30 minutes. The time on the Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial need to be changed.

What I love about the recipe is the simplicity, especially on the commercial scale.

12 sacks 2-row (US - 50 lb sacks)
1/2 sack Biscuit (55 lb or 25 Kg sack)
1/2 sack Munich - same as above

All the hops are in 1/2 lb increments, so that there aren't random bits at the end of a box, typically 44 lbs.

Ok, sorry about the mess up. Let's try this again:

OG 1.074
FG 1.019

7.3% ABV

6* SRM

109.2 IBUs

8 lbs. Extra light DME
6 oz. Biscuit malt
6 oz. Munich Malt-10L

(Using Pellet Hops)

1.75 oz. columbus @90 minutes
1.25 Simcoe @ 30 minutes
1.25 Amarillo @ 30 minutes
1.00 Centennial @ 30 minutes
1.50 Centennial @ flame out
0.75 Simcoe @ flame out
0.75 Cascade @ flame out
0.75 Columbus @ flame out

DRY HOP

3 oz. Simcoe
3 oz. Cascade

Wyeast 1272

If I remember correctly I think this beer finishes a bit dry for my liking. Anything I can do to get a sweeter finish out of this beer?

Might want to double check the yeast. Wyeast 1272 is American Ale II.
Unless that is what the brewer meant to say, and not scottish ale.

According to his recipe, the beer finishes at 1.009 (2.2 plato)...which is pretty dry. Where is the 1.019 number coming from on your recipe? Is your beer recipe tool assuming a certain percentage for attenuation?

Ian-atx, I cant seem to find the 1272 scottish yeast. I assumed he meant american ale II.

Also, I used Beer calculus. I wanted to hit an OG 1.074. I did not know what plato was so I looked it up, and 18.5 plato=1.074. Beer calculus gave the FG of 1.009. I honestly dont know what plato is so I had NO idea about that.

With that being said, I did enjoy this beer a lot but thought it was a little dry. I would like my clone to be a bit smoother and finish sweeter. Any suggestions?

I would assume if he sent you the recipe he assumes you are going to be sharing it, but it wouldn't have hurt to ask him if it's ok to publish online.

If you find the beer good but a little dry, I'd brew something else unless you feel that you are an accomplished brewer who can handle the differences required to adjust the beer.

Anyway up the mash temps a few degrees to make the beer less dry. It might change the way you perceive the beer and you might find that it is not what you thought it would be.

Good luck and let us know how it works out - sounds like a good beer.

Back