corn sugar and DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I am really getting into this home brewing! On my 2nd beer kit it says to add 1kg of sugar, and its says preferably “brewers sugar” after looking on the net for a bit I think that brewers sugar is in fact corn sugar. Am I right?

If so would any corn sugar do? Also I have noticed that Dry Malt Extracts can be used instead of any sugar. Can you mix and match with these beginner kits? Ie maybe half normal sugar, half DME to make up the 1kg?

I know these are basic questions but there only easy if you know the answer I guess and I don’t want to do anything to make my 2nd batch not work

Thanks everyone

Chris

Yeah, try not to use sugar of any sort as a primary fermentable. Substitute DME (dry malt extract) and your results will be much better. I have no idea why kits tell you to add sugar, but I guess it's so they can save money by not actually selling you all the fermentables you need. In any event, you'll like the malt extract much more.

Cheers :D

It has turned off friends of mine to brewing, and I always have trouble getting them to realize you can make good beer, just not out of cane or corn sugar. It's a shame, because some good kits are out there, like the ones at morebeer. These cheapo kits that come with caps, a can of LME, a pack of dry yeast and tell you to add sugar and not bother to boil the wort are a recipe for disaster. You have zero percent chance of making good beer.

I think kits like that are where the notion that homebrew just tastes "different" from "real" beer comes from. There oughta be a law ;)

Cheers :D

Back