Heat and Mold in the air ruining the brewing environment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I began a starter on Saturday morning hoping to be able to brew by Sunday night. I pithed the yeast at 75 but my house probably was in the 80s over the weekend. I covered the erlemeyer flask with foil and swirled it often. No sign of fermentation when I left this morning.

The kitchen in my rented place has a leaky sink and the base of he cabinets are wet and I can smell mold in the air. The owner promised to do something a while back but has not. Besides the danger to my own health the quality of my beer is also a huge concern.

Is it possible the heat or mold have already ruined my starter?

I am thinking brewing in a moldy environment is a bad idea, any suggestions to combat this or should I be looking to brew elsewhere?

Thanks

At that temp your starter should have gotten going sooner, starters benefit from temps up around 80 or so. Mold would not have stopped your yeast either. You would have fermentation going but might be contaminated.
I would be concerned about the yeast viability, but it is possible that it is fermenting(reproducing) without putting out much CO2.
Foil is not a good airlock. If you can, use a container that you can fashion an airlock for.
Mold can get in and contaminate if airborne. You can probably brew, but you should always be concious of the higher chance of contamination. You should avoid things like....
1. USING FOIL FOR AN AIRLOCK
2. Opening the fermenter or starter unnecessarily
3. Cooling your Wort without a lid on it
4. Letting friends watch you brew

Good luck.

Thanks Cheezydemon,
The lack of airlock was not my idea. I have gotten it from this site and others, concerning aeration of the starter. Seeing all the magnetic stirring setup and not having one yet I opted for an open top and lots of hand aerating over the weekend. Do people(ones without mold issues of course) leave their starter open?

I have just gotten back into brewing, and have been going through all my stuff over the weekend. I have probably 20 stoppers and so many airlocks. In the past I was paranoid about contamination, my 3rd batch ever tasted like lemon fresh joy. I would never have considered an open topped fermenting before.

I also did not think about the mold in the air until last night, and how it might affect the starter and the rest of the process of brewing. I do have another place I can brew though.

Its possible that the starter is fermenting, there has been small signs but no huge ones, I was expecting a bubbling flask over the weekend.

I'll think I'll start another starter and choose another place to brew. It would be awful to have my welcome back batch be rancid.

Back