So I'm gonna do an IPA Taste-test... Methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
Yeah, I got 4 bombers of different IPAs and I plan on having a little tasting party with my Bro-In-Law tomorrow. He's just now starting to come around to the many styles of beers, and we made a Dark IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale) that we're drinking right now. It's tasty, but not a true IPA.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what method did they use? It may be just me and him, but there may be others there trying it too. I was thinking either:

1.) Everyone gets a glass, pour a little of IPA-A in each, and we all taste, comment etc. Then go on to IPA-B

or

2.) Pour a glass of each of the four IPAs for each person (or we could share, we don't have cooties) and compare them side by side.

I'm sure we'll have some snacks or crackers there to cleanse the palate, any ideas?

Interesting, I hadn't thought of the style sheet. I think my Bro might like that, but everyone else might think it to be TMI.
They already think I'm a beer-nut!
:drunk:

One at a time and give each person a copy of the BJCP style sheet for IPAs.

Wow, we must be on the same brain waves...

Even though you aren't a BJCP judge, its always a fun excercise to fill out the BJCP scoresheet, even if you don't fill in scores.

BJCP guide for IPA (I'm assuming all of yours are American)
BJCP Scoresheet

I also suggest going to the store and getting small clear plastic cups. Pour a sample for everyone, do the nerdy part, then pour the rest into normal glasses and enjoy it.

I was thinking about plastic cups, but thought that glass would be better.
I don't know how many glasses they have, so maybe I'll pick up some cups.

Thanks for the tips!

just drink em and talk about em.

what I would do tho, is leave the bottles in another room and take turns pouring, in the other room. that way only the pourer knows what you're tasting.

of course beyond that you could take guesses of what it is and make notes, etc.

Back