First Split Batch with Brett C and Brett B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
I felt creative today and decided to make a 6 gallon batch, split it into two 3 gallon batches. I will have 2 different Brett's going WLP645 and WLP650. It's my first time ever using Brett and I'm stoked to see how it turns out!

I'm not sure what the beer "style" is but it is

10lb 2 Row
4 LB White Wheat
2 LB light Munich
1.5 LB Vienna
.25LB roasted Barley

Hoping it turns out as good as the yeasts sound, :mug:

Did you make starters? And are you pitching sacc too or just the Brett? By themselves they'll be pretty fruity, as a copitch with sacc you'll get funky goodness after a few months.

Did you make starters? And are you pitching sacc too or just the Brett? By themselves they'll be pretty fruity, as a copitch with sacc you'll get funky goodness after a few months.

Pitched with US-05, might add more after it ferments out for a bit. Currently have both on a blow off tube. Yeasties seem happy!

Also, no on the starters but I must confess Ibe never made one anyways. Maybe that will be my next thing to add to my brewing portfolio

That's perfect, dry yeast doesn't need a starter and copitching is a great way to go. Probably don't need to add more, just let it go for a while. The side by side is a great test (I vote Brux :)). Good luck!

It's been over 2 months and the Brett B formed a good bubbly pellicle which last time i checked has dropped. The Brett C never really formed a pellicle which is odd, but i haven't really tinkered with the beers yet.

I'm thinking of letting them ride and bottling in July since it was a Co-Pitch. That'd put me at about 3 Months. Thoughts?

Did you use wlp650 alone in one batch? How long has that brett batch been in the fermenter? I just pitched WLP650 alone because NB ran out of WLP644 and they said it would be fine but white labs doesn't recommend WLP650 by itself in primary. Got me worried.

I Co-Pitched both. After looking through some threads here i figured that'd be best for me to start with. Still, Pitching it on it's own will be fine, it just might take longer.

Did they tell you how long to let your beer go. The Brett C just formed a Pellicle on mine and the Brett B still have a nice one. I'm debating just aging them out for a while now...not sure if that's the best idea for the beer or not though

I read online that it should be about 4-6 weeks in primary. The pellicle did appear in the first week or so but is very clear. it was not like the pics I've seen online with different colors. I'm hoping the fermentation was heavy enough to ferment it out quicker than expected. I'm going to give it atleast 2 more weeks before checking but i'd doubt this will be ready in 6 weeks. I will be bottling when it appears stable so more conditioning will be occur in the bottle.

Back