Help me plan my kegerator/keezer build :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theimp

Reaction score
Hey DIY people, I am planning a kegerator (keezer) build.

What I am thinking is, I would like to use ball lock corny kegs in the future so I want to build something big enough to keep beer flowing easily.

I'm currently brewing 23l batches and I don't want to bottle at all. So I am thinking with ball lock kegs being 19l I would like to have atleast 5 taps.

19l X 5 = 95

So I was thinking

4 x 23l litre batches (92l) with 1 keg that will have a bit of headspace (3 litres).

What I want to be able to do is when one keg empties empties, replace it and leave it to carb and still have 4 that are carbed.

See where I am going with this?

My (or should probably say our) main drink is a basic beer so I want a constant supply without having to wait for carbing. (I only have a 1 tap / 1 keg setup at the moment which sucks waiting for the beer to carb)

So for starters, I want 5 kegs, 5 taps. The problem then is how do I regulate it? But hold that thought for a second.

I would also like to add 2 or 3 more taps so I can expirement with recipes like apfelwein, partial marsh, all grain etc and make 19l batches.

So I could have the main supply of 5 kegs of beer, and 3 different beers all on tap. For that something different or special.

So 8 taps, 8 kegs. How the hell would I regulate that? they need to be seperate or have seperate co2 shutoffs so I can benefit from the swap-out and keeping infront of things by never running out of beer.

Freezer size I will figure out by looking at sizing thread. Or using the cut outs of the kegs and doing it that way.

Current shopping list looks like this:

Freezer
8 ball lock kegs
8 sets of connectors and lines
10lb or larger co2 tank
4 2 tap towers or 1 8 tap tower (i prefer towers to a collar, not going down that route)
Temperature controller
Big chrome drip tray

Regulators are the big issue I can't figure out the best setup. I will probably put the co2 tank and regulators outside in a cupboard next to the keezer or build one into it somehow.

Am I missing anything here? Or is that about it? The co2 setup is my main concern I need input on.

Not in any rush to build this, brainstorming and planning at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

Ok kegworks.com has a 5 and 3 gauge co2 regulator, that should do the job I need.

Any ideas on the best way using a 5 and a 3 regulator in the same keezer? Maybe have 2 5lb tanks on the outside of the system? Or is it best to keep the co2 tanks cold?

If you are referring to the manifold, or distribution bars, why not just connect them and run them both off of one tank? I connected two 3 way bars and run all six taps off one 5 lb. CO2 tank.

I do not know if it is scientific, but I was told the CO2 lasts longer if not cold. I used to have my tank inside, and now it is outside. I do feel that I do get more out of it now that it is not cold, but again I have no proof other than what it seems to me.

If you are referring to the manifold, or distribution bars, why not just connect them and run them both off of one tank? I connected two 3 way bars and run all six taps off one 5 lb. CO2 tank.

I do not know if it is scientific, but I was told the CO2 lasts longer if not cold. I used to have my tank inside, and now it is outside. I do feel that I do get more out of it now that it is not cold, but again I have no proof other than what it seems to me.

Manifolds might work better, should be easy enough to add shut off valves if needed and will keep the room needed to house parts down, can mount them on the back inside the freezer.

This is what I was thinking of though: http://www.kegworks.com/5-way-secondary-air-regulator-427-p16654

Then also having a 3 way on a seperate tank. so perhaps 2 x 5lb tanks on 2 different regulators.

Then that will also mean when one tank empties I can swap it out and still have beer while one tank gets filled.

Just trying to not ever run out of beer basically :)

Ok the plan is making progress.

I am going to go with 2 5lb co2 tanks. So when one tank is empty I can still have beer on the go while my other tank gets filled.

So here is the updated shopping list.

Freezer (energy star rated, 17+ cubic feet)
8 ball lock kegs
8 sets of connectors and lines
2 x 5lb or larger co2 tanks
4 x 2 tap towers or 1 x 8 tap tower (i prefer towers to a collar, not going down that route)
Temperature controller (will test the freezer temp first before I buy this, hopefully I can do the lowest setting and stay just above freezing)
Big drip tray

Then I have thought about turning it into a bar look like many people do and put it into some kind of case with a nice countertop on the top. But I will build the kegerator first and make a kind of case for it rather than building it all onto the freezer.

Back