Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEversole

Reaction score
Anybody got any good recipes for a black IPA? I got a good suggestion from a fellow member to use oatmeal stout leftovers to make this. Any suggestions or leads will help. Thanks.

Here's my favorite:

Recipe: Men in Black IPA
Brewer: tknice
Asst Brewer: Pleepleus
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 29.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 88.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.10 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.6 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
6.1 oz Carafa Special III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
6.1 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 44.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 22.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 15.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 6.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 m Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [800 Yeast 12 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 4.2 oz
----------------------------
Saccharification Add 7.62 gal of water at 158.9 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

Notes:
------
1st Batch 1.050 - 74.40% Efficiency
2nd Batch 1.055 - 81.80% Efficiency

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

You just take an IPA recipe and slap on some Black patent and Carafa III, about .5 lb of each for the 5 gallon batch and you are all set. I have made several Black IPAs as well as that recipe Skeezer posted above and they always turn out great and I have found that they are even fun to let age since the malt holds up while the hops fade and the beer still tastes great.

Thanks to tknice, I brewed MIB IPA this weekend. My wife came home from work yesterday and said the house smelled great! Nice medium dark color. Likely it'll be perfect. Only missed the OG by .01.
Only problem I had was my LHBS was out of Cascade so I had to use more Centennial in its place but I'm hoping that won't make a major difference.
Black IPA's are hot now and there are many on the net. I plan on trying them all. :)

Thanks to tknice, I brewed MIB IPA this weekend. My wife came home from work yesterday and said the house smelled great! Nice medium dark color. Likely it'll be perfect. Only missed the OG by .01.
Only problem I had was my LHBS was out of Cascade so I had to use more Centennial in its place but I'm hoping that won't make a major difference.
Black IPA's are hot now and there are many on the net. I plan on trying them all. :)
:mug:

Just bottled this IPA today.....wow, the taste at bottling was enough to make me drink the whole test jar! It's just got to come out great in a few weeks.
However, even after 3 weeks of fermenting and not change in gravity for 4 days, it still ended up with a FG of 1.019. I've never brewed a beer ending that high. So I ended up with an ABV of 5.6 which is fine. Don't care about getting pissed, just want a great tasting beer though I had not expected it to be so high.
tknice, thanks much for the recipe. If it does taste great like I think it will, this will be in my regular rotation even if the wife doesn't like it.

Here's mine. Brewed it a couple times and have been very pleased:

IPA Noir
4 Gal batch, 29 SRM, 87 IBU, 70% eff, 1.072 OG

8 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Munich I
.5 lbs Carafa III
.5 lbs Carahell
1 oz Magnum (14%) @ FWH
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) @ 30min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) @ 15min
2 oz Cascade @ dry-hop
Safale S_04

75min mash @ 150F. Ferment @ 65F.

I'm lifting that recipe tknice. As soon as I get some Nelson Sauvin hops to sub out a couple of those with. That and Simcoe will be a nice beer for the wife. And I suppose I'll drink a couple.

I'm thinking of brewing this one this weekend. Will make a starter tomorrow after picking up some more grains (if not this weekend, I'll take a day or two off work and brew like crazy). I'm replacing all of the hops with Nelson Sauvin. Will report back when I get it done. That is a lot of hops, but I've been heavy handed with the last few batches, plus I got a Pliny clone and a Zombie Dust clone in the works. Man I'm going to be broke for a while. At least I'll have beer.

Thanks again for the recipe.

I'm thinking of brewing this one this weekend. Will make a starter tomorrow after picking up some more grains (if not this weekend, I'll take a day or two off work and brew like crazy). I'm replacing all of the hops with Nelson Sauvin. Will report back when I get it done. That is a lot of hops, but I've been heavy handed with the last few batches, plus I got a Pliny clone and a Zombie Dust clone in the works. Man I'm going to be broke for a while. At least I'll have beer.

Thanks again for the recipe.

You're gonna love it. Someone else on here (maybe beerlord?) brewed it and he sent me a PM after tasting it and was very happy.

It's gonna rain this weekend and I think my brewday is cancelled :(

Twas me alright. I blew some friends away this week with a taste after only 15 days in the bottle. I must have muffed up with priming as it's a bit over carbed but I have half of it in a mini keg that I'm going to hit this weekend.
I will be making this one again and again. In fact, I have to since my local brew store was out of cascade and I had to sub centennial with for cascade so if that makes much of a difference, I gotta try it.
But, that said, for the type of beer I like, this is it.
What I really like about it is the nose blend with the tongue at first sip. Yeah, sounds like a perv but it's just so good.
And a friend did a small black IPA recipe he got from the local brew store (partial mash) and it's very good but the difference between the 2 is amazing.
Sorry, I'm rambling but I think this one could win awards. Just sayin!

Hello. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. You guys have been a great help to me over the past year and a half...thanks!

Anyway, on a whim I decided I wanted to make a big beer after sticking to mostly browns, APAs, and Ambers. I was going for a Black IIPA, ICDA, or whatever you want to call it. I had all of the ingredients lying around for a partial mash. Below are the calculations from Beer Tools Pro for the 90 minute boil. I hit the OG at 1.082

My concern is the amount of dark dry extract I added to the boil. I'm concerned that I've made a very hoppy porter.

What are your thoughts? What have I created?

Size: 5.00 gal

Original Gravity: 1.084
Terminal Gravity: 1.019
Color: 30.48
Alcohol: 8.54%
Bitterness: 111.0 IBU

Ingredients:
5.0 lb American 2-row
.5 lb Crystal 75
.375 lb American Chocolate Malt
.375 lb Rye Ale Malt
.375 lb Carafa Special® TYPE II