Flat again!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BENDJOSEPH

Reaction score
My one liter bottles are flat again. The last batch i let carb for a week, they were flat. This batch I let carb and age at 60 degrees for 8 weeks and then one week at 35 degrees. They are flat also.

When I bottled these 12 one liter bottles I also bottled 12, 12 oz bottles. they are fine. All the bottles got the same cleaning.

I use Cooper's carb drops. I used one for the 12 oz and four for the one liter's. The one liter's are brand new and they are the flip top style.

What am I doing wrong?

How are the washer on the bottles? I had a couple of flat beers from old washers not giving a good seal. They are pretty cheap to replace. Four drops should have been more then enough.

The bottles are brand new. The washers are the one's that came with them. My local brew store said they should not be the problem. They were at a lost at why they were flat.

Can i carb them some how? I hate to lose all that beer:(

60 degrees is a little cool.

What are you priming them with? I always used more DME then recommended - about 1.75 cups in 2 cups of water.

I would suggest doing the priming sugar routine next time you use the 1 liter bottles. I've heard that those carbonation drops aren't all that reliable. Try 3/4 cup corn sugar per 5 gallons and see what happens.
I would also suggest keeping your beer above 65 degrees for a couple weeks. 60 is kinda cool for ale yeast.
Have you tried opening one of the bottles that didn't carbonate and add a little corn sugar to it?
What yeast strain did you use? Some flocculate more than others and most like a bit warmer temps.

Mine have over carbed with the carb tablets. I keg but I like to have about a 12er to share. Not sure how to carb them now..........

JnJ said:
Mine have over carbed with the carb tablets. I keg but I like to have about a 12er to share. Not sure how to carb them now..........
Fill the bottles from the keg after the beer is carbonated.. :mug:
You can use the beer gun, a counter flow filler, or even some vinyl tubing attached to your cobra tap will even work.

I had real problem carbing the last couple batches. I used Cal-V yeast, for warm weahter. Fremented OK in the house, but I bottled and stacked on the patio. 50f on cool nights. Daytime high was only 50's. No cartbonation. I finally stuck one in each corner of my water bed, and those four carbed in a week. So I brought a case into the bedroom, carbed good. About that time the weather warmed up, so I think I'm OK now.

Back