Bottle Conditioning Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

So I have a honey porter, the white house mini mash kit from Austin Homebrewer, and I am getting something I have never seen before during my bottle conditioning. It has been over two weeks conditioning. Since I am a newer homebrewer I like to pop a few bottles during the process to taste the different stages and learn from the process. Also I just moved to Austin and was a bit thirsty and impatient, not going to lie. I noticed a few of my bottles so far have had yeast on the sides of the bottles after opening them, like yeast has rained from the top. Before I open the bottle I can see most of the yeast hanging out on the bottom and a little bit clinging to the sides. Then when I pour it into the glass I can see yeast bouncing up and down, this settles after a little while. When I taste the beer I don't taste any off notes, tastes a little bit young (which I expected with my impatience lol) but good. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before or has any more info and resources into whats going on. Thanks!

Give each bottle a few twists and let them condition for another week or two, then into the fridge for a few days. Any yeast that might be clinging to the sides should fall to the bottom and settle out.

bosco

As stated above, give them a shake, let them sit longer, then cool them for a few days. It should pack the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. When pouring, leave the last bit in the bottle. This should help with this batch, but it sounds to me like you have too much yeast in your beer. What yeast did you use and how long did you have it in your fermentor? Maybe it needed more time in the fermentor for more yeast to drop. If you have the ability to cold crash before bottling, that would also help. It gets most of the yeast to drop, leaving you with less sediment in the bottle.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Austin.

I was going to say RDWHAHB, but you might with want to stick with relaxing and nor worrying unitl they're done bottle conditioning. :D

As stated above, give them a shake, let them sit longer, then cool them for a few days. It should pack the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. When pouring, leave the last bit in the bottle. This should help with this batch, but it sounds to me like you have too much yeast in your beer. What yeast did you use and how long did you have it in your fermentor? Maybe it needed more time in the fermentor for more yeast to drop. If you have the ability to cold crash before bottling, that would also help. It gets most of the yeast to drop, leaving you with less sediment in the bottle.

Oh yeah, and welcome to Austin.

I used 1 packet of Dynstar Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast. It sat in the primary fermentor for about two weeks and the secondary for two weeks. The FG was stable for 4 days or so and then I bottled. I live in a smaller apartment so I don't have the resources to cold crash yet. I'll try your advice. Thanks for the welcome to Austin!

Back