Budweiser clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alkalinity is bad, to the extent it needs to be neutralized when brewing light beers. 50ppm of calcium isn't bad, but 50ppm of magnesium is. 50ppm of chloride is ok, 50ppm of sulfate is bad. It's easy to just say "soft water" or "hard water" but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Good info. Thanks. Did a check. The latest water reports don't show everything, but Chlorine is only 1.5 ppm, Sulfates at 72 ppm, Sodium at 41 ppm, Hardness 305 ppm, and pH sits at about 7.5.

Good info. Thanks. Did a check. The latest water reports don't show everything, but Chlorine is only 1.5 ppm, Sulfates at 72 ppm, Sodium at 41 ppm, Hardness 305 ppm, and pH sits at about 7.5.

Yeah, that's hard in all the wrong ways. For light lagers I'd go with RO + CaCl. Magnesium with sulfate makes epsom salt, which is harshly bitter.

My alkalinity is ridiculously high, like 440ppm, but my pH is around 7.5 too. So the actual pH of the water doesn't matter much. My water has crazy high alkalinity and temporary hardness, but basically nothing else in it, so once the alkalinity is knocked down it works pretty well.

With that much sodium and sulfate, your water has high permanent hardness, which is a lot harder to deal with than temporary hardness.

Yeah, that's hard in all the wrong ways. For light lagers I'd go with RO + CaCl. Magnesium with sulfate makes epsom salt, which is harshly bitter.

My alkalinity is ridiculously high, like 440ppm, but my pH is around 7.5 too. So the actual pH of the water doesn't matter much. My water has crazy high alkalinity and temporary hardness, but basically nothing else in it, so once the alkalinity is knocked down it works pretty well.

With that much sodium and sulfate, your water has high permanent hardness, which is a lot harder to deal with than temporary hardness.

Yeah, I always just start with RO and modify based on the water profile I need. I get great results with IPA's by just using RO with a teaspoon of gypsum per 5 gallons in the boil.

The next Helles I brew, I'm going to try the "no-sparge" method. It's supposed to extract fewer tannins and polyphenols than you would by sparging. For light beers that sounds like a good idea.

Does anyone else brew their light beers that way?

Nateo said:
The next Helles I brew, I'm going to try the "no-sparge" method. It's supposed to extract fewer tannins and polyphenols than you would by sparging. For light beers that sounds like a good idea.

Does anyone else brew their light beers that way?

I batch sparge for all my beers, and have never had a problem with lighter beers. How do you get enough wort with the no sparge method?

I batch sparge for all my beers, and have never had a problem with lighter beers. How do you get enough wort with the no sparge method?

Here's the article I read about it: http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/9-all-grain-brewing/1407-skip-the-sparge

I think there are a couple ways to do it. One is to drain part of the mash tun, then add the "sparge" water, but if your mash tun is big enough, you can just add the whole preboil volume to the mash. Something about draining the mash tun completely is more likely to extract harsher flavors.

Good counter-point ( about a great spaghetti & meatballs dinner) I guess I agree after all considering one of my favorite recipes to make is a nice easy normal cream ale. Still I frigging hate bud. Have no problems making a classic American pils though. In fact gonna do it next week. I just have an extreme aversion to bud (or coors, etc).

IIRC Jamil said it was important to whirlpool your trub and cold break, and separate those before fermentation. I haven't tried that either, but that sounds like a pretty easy precaution.

Thanks I think I'm gonna try the cream ale recipe thanks for all the help

If you use the C of 3C's recipe as a base, I would reduce the corn to a half pound, replace all but one pound of the rest with rice... And for that last one pound, use simple cane sugar. Mash at 149* for 90 minutes. This is my go to neighborhood favorite.

Drew Beechum has a recipe for this he calls "Dougweiser".

From his book: "this will be the hardest beer you'll ever brew. In addition to the challenging cereal mash, you'll find there is nothing teo hide behind. Brewers developed and refined this recipe for a decade before considering it done."

If you use the C of 3C's recipe as a base, I would reduce the corn to a half pound, replace all but one pound of the rest with rice... And for that last one pound, use simple cane sugar. Mash at 149* for 90 minutes. This is my go to neighborhood favorite.

Dang my third batch of this I brewed just today and after two batches I ended up with the same thing other than I have not done the sugar thing yet. I wonder if that will dry it up to much.

Sigh I will try the sugar next batch LOL. Good thing I love brewing :)

I made a Premium American Lager a little while ago, and when I tasted it during racking to secondary last week to lager it was crisp, clean, sweet and ever so light.

GRAIN
4 lb 2-row
4 lb 6-row
1 lb flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

HOP
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfrueh

YEAST
S-23 (and no, there were no hints of passionfruit wine cooler or diacetyl)

MASH
10 min at 130
60 min at 149 (infusion)
Sparge

FERMENTATION STEPS
10 days at 51
5 days at 70
Lagering now for a couple months

STATS
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.007
IBU: 15

Rice vs Corn vs Sugar - What are the reasons you'd pick one over the other? It was mentioned earlier on the thread that Budweiser doesn't use corn, only rice, though other AB/InBev products use corn.

Nateo said:
Rice vs Corn vs Sugar - What are the reasons you'd pick one over the other? It was mentioned earlier on the thread that Budweiser doesn't use corn, only rice, though other AB/InBev products use corn.

Corn tastes like, well... Corn... In the finished beer; whereas, rice doesn't taste like much of anything. Since the sugars of both are almost entirely fermentable they contribute to dryness via alcohol but very little to body, corn contributes a corny flavor which can increase perception of sweet without being DMS like. but for that crisp, clean taste that says "Budweiser" you'll need rice.

I made a Premium American Lager a little while ago, and when I tasted it during racking to secondary last week to lager it was crisp, clean, sweet and ever so light.

GRAIN
4 lb 2-row
4 lb 6-row
1 lb flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

HOP
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfrueh

YEAST
S-23 (and no, there were no hints of passionfruit wine cooler or diacetyl)

MASH
10 min at 130
60 min at 149 (infusion)
Sparge

FERMENTATION STEPS
10 days at 51
5 days at 70
Lagering now for a couple months

STATS
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.007
IBU: 15

You might really have something there, that looks pretty close, or as close as a person would be able to get. Anyway looks like a good beer

Any reason rice is better than sugar?

Rice will have less taste in the finish product, if any at all. Sugar (IMHO) will still remain with a sweeter taste. Really all depends on what you are after.

So long and short, rice when eating really has no favor, well sugar is sweet.

What is anheuser's turn around time on something like bud light or bud? It has to be really quick from mash in to finished product. To me it has to be less than a month for the quantity they deliver every year.

Thanks Gear101, I brewed it for my brother in laws and father in law for the hot long days of chopping cow corn in September on the farm. I call that beer "Crop Chopper Lager," but I'm really looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

What is anheuser's turn around time on something like bud light or bud? It has to be really quick from mash in to finished product. To me it has to be less than a month for the quantity they deliver every year.

I wish I had taken notes during the tour. IIRC they said it spent 3 weeks lagering, plus 'some' length of time on the beechwood before lagering. I want to say it's more like 5 weeks, grain-to-glass. Their beechwood aging tanks in St Louis are fantastically large. I wanna say they were around 1m gallons each, and they had like 12 of them.

Latest posts

Back