How long to wait

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironexecutioner

Reaction score
I was attempting to move my third brew from primary to secondary tonight when I established my auto siphon was not working correctly.. It had pushed a bunch of air back into the primary causing a foam to come to the top. I promptly stopped and recapped the primary bucket. I'm going to replace the siphon.. My question is how long I should now wait before moving to secondary as I'm sure it stirred the yeast back up... At least a little. Also, could this have done any damage to the batch?

thanks in advance,
-the new guy

i wouldnt worry too much as long as everythings been sanitized, my beers survived worse. dont worry about letting it settle too much, after all you are using the secondary to drop everything out again and let it clear before bottling and kegging. the risk of oxidation is there, but it probably wont manifest before you drink the beer (assuming this isnt something youll be aging for awhile and that youre a steady drinker). RDWHAHB.

bummer on the auto siphon though...its one of my favorite tools.

It won't have that much of an effect. Mostly likely it won't be a notable difference. You should be able to rack it right away. You'll still leave most of the yeast behind.

thanks for the replies... I guess I'll try to pick up a new siphon and rack it tom. I was going to see if the place I bought all my stuff from would warrant it since I got it all in November, but their hours are less than convenient.. By the time I'm done missing work hours I might as well have bought a new one..

There's not much in an auto-siphon to break...especially since you've used it on only 3 beers total (so, 5 or 6 rackings).

My auto-siphon is older than my dog. I suspect the tiny valve in the tip got stuck or something since its supposed to close when you push down so the beer goes out the tubing instead of the bottom of the auto-siphon.

I'd investigate that before you spend another $15 on something that's probably not broken.

Back