Recipe any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepygo

Reaction score
I found this recipe on the web and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Looks really simple, but I don't have very much faith in it. Do you guys think I should try it?

1 gallon unfiltered apple juice
1/2 tsp bread yeast (eg. Fleishman's or Res Star)
4-6 cups brown and/or white sugar

Another question, I'm brewing a cider currently and after I put it in a secondary and then get ready to rack, how will I know if its safe? I don't want it to blow up in my bottles. Also, should I carbonate? If so...how?

sleepygo said:
I found this recipe on the web and I was wondering what you guys think of it. Looks really simple, but I don't have very much faith in it. Do you guys think I should try it?

1 gallon unfiltered apple juice
1/2 tsp bread yeast (eg. Fleishman's or Res Star)
4-6 cups brown and/or white sugar

Another question, I'm brewing a cider currently and after I put it in a secondary and then get ready to rack, how will I know if its safe? I don't want it to blow up in my bottles. Also, should I carbonate? If so...how?

1. that doesn't seem like much juice
2. don't use bread yeast
3. seems like waaaaay too much sugar for such little liquid

this seems like some kind of hooch recipe...

I agree sounds like hooch to me . . . here is a easier recipie and it will tast MUCH better

1 gallon of cider
1 packet of Nottingham ale yeast

put in jug, add yeast, add air lock, let sit

best part is this recipie is vary scalable . . . want 5 gallons?
5 gallons of cider
1 packet of yeast

put in bigger jug, add yeast, add air lock, let sit

Remember with cider time (aging) is your friend. The batch I starte in January will sit unbottled in a carboy until probably May/June. Dont bottle it too soon not out of fear of bottle bombs but out of fear of it just needing more aging.

Carbonation wise . . . if ya want to carb it carb it, just add a bit of sugar or more juice just like ya would with beer. Personally I think cider should be still and find carbonated cider to be a blasphemy

Pumbaa said:
I agree sounds like hooch to me . . . here is a easier recipie and it will tast MUCH better

1 gallon of cider
1 packet of Nottingham ale yeast

put in jug, add yeast, add air lock, let sit

best part is this recipie is vary scalable . . . want 5 gallons?
5 gallons of cider
1 packet of yeast

put in bigger jug, add yeast, add air lock, let sit

Or just search Apfelwein and use EdWort's Recipe... and damn does it taste good...

DeadYetiBrew said:
Or just search Apfelwein and use EdWort's Recipe... and damn does it taste good...

yeah, that one has a lot of great reviews but when it comes to cider I'm a dick . . . infact I'm looking for 2 - 5gallon barrels for next year and want to try tofind a good orchard and get some fresh squeezed (like watch them press it fresh) unpasturized juice and go traditional with it

Pumbaa said:
yeah, that one has a lot of great reviews but when it comes to cider I'm a dick . . . infact I'm looking for 2 - 5gallon barrels for next year and want to try tofind a good orchard and get some fresh squeezed (like watch them press it fresh) unpasturized juice and go traditional with it

You honestly can't call it Cider if you taste it... it really is wine... It's dry and has the same mouthfeel as wine.... It's sort of in between though...

That sounds great pumbaa, i'd get a bunch of fresh squeeze and even save some for drinking itself... i bet that's some good stuff

Or try my Mapfelwein:

4 gallons apple juice
2-3 pounds of honey (I used SueBee clover honey)
1 quart real maple syrup mixed with 1 gallon of warm water
Champagne Yeast

Mix together, let ferment for about 2-3 months. No need to rack. Lightly carbonate when bottling (I used CO2, but you could probably just use more honey or a little brown sugar).

Let it sit for about a month.

Tastes like candy and knocks you on your tuchas.

awesome, thanks for the help. Yeah, I figured that that recipe was going to taste like junk. I'll definitely have to try one of these recipes.

Latest posts

Back