Are my hops still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericw

Reaction score
I brewed a batch in Aug using whole Cascade hops. My LBS only had 4oz bags, and I needed 2oz. I kept the bag in the fridge the entire time and moved them to the freezer a few weeks ago. Would these still be okay, so should I buy new?

2 months at fridge temps in an unsealed bag is ok. the hops will have lost about 10% of their bittering potential, but are ok to use.

To follow further, what's the outside limit, in your own preferences, for dealing with stored hops? And by stored I mean exactly as mentioned. In a bag, in the fridge. I've been rightly accused of keeping things around too long in the past. IS there a drop-off schedule for hops? Do they suddenly just hit the wall and lose a lot of potential?

I'm still trying to learn the exact interaction each component has with the other and the hops are obviously a large part. When we buy packaged hops, from LHBS or mailorder, how old should we assume they are at arrival?

Thanks

Back