I'm broadening my horizons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlJamNoCode

Reaction score
I'm trying to broaden my horizons when it comes to beer. I'm well beyond drinking BMC crap, but I would like to try more styles and brewries besides Yuengling and Sam Adams (my go-to beers)

Here's a list of beers that seem to get broad approval, what styles and brands should I pick up a single of to try?

Lagers
?

Ales
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (21% ABV!!!)

Belgians
Victory Whirlwind Witbier (Is this a Belgian?)
Hoegaarden

Porters
Fullers London Porter

Stouts
Guinness
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Well you certainly have a near never-ending and exciting quest before you!

My reccomendation - this is what I did and still do - is to go to a good liquor store and browse around, and grab a couple bottles of some beers that look good. Do a little research on styles and such and look for something that sounds good.

For me, I love English and Irish ales - there are tons to choose from and most are very good. Samuel Smith, Smitchwicks, Boddingtons, Youngs, Goblin, Monty Python, etc. etc.

Belgians are wonderful! Probably the easiest place to start out would be with Chimay. The Red and Blue are both very good and can age for a long time. Hoegaarden is good as well.

Lagers? There are tons of great lagers and styles out of central Europe. While were in that region pick up some German and/or Bavarian Hefeweizen - great stuff!

There are also tons of American micros to try out, as well.
/Once you've had one APA, though, you've had them all :D

But yeah, go read up on some styles and pick out some beers at the store! You'll more than likely be pleasantly surprised.

This is a repost of a response to smeone that said they did not care for Belgian beers. The information is good for this question as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=439114&postcount=76

<stumpspeech>
To those of you that say that you do not like Belgians you are painting with a pretty large brush.

What you might be saying is that you do not like the Abbey/Trappist styles or the Lambic or Sour styles. Or maybe the Golden Ales.

Perhaps you've had all four of these predominant styles and do not prefer them. Belgium, however supports many styles and there is a wide variation of beeery goodness within each style.

Here is a partial list od examples.

LAMBIC ALE
Gueuze DeNeve
Timmermans Lambic Doux
Faro Vieux Foudre
Lindemans Gueuze
Boon Faro
Mort Subite
Oud Beersel
Gueuze Vigneronne Cantillon
Jacobins Framboise
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus
Boon Marriage Parfait
Hanssens Gueuze
Vander Linden Frambozenbier

ABBEY/TRAPPIST ALE
Urthel Hibernus Quentum Tripel
Rochefort 10
Westvleteren 12
Val-Dieu Triple
Pater Lieven
Abbeye de Aulne
Witkap Pater Single
Affligem Dobbel
Westmalle Triple
St. Sixtus Abt 12
Ename Tripel
Chimay Grande Reserve
Rochefort 8
Leffe Blonde
Bornem
Augustijn
Orval
Grimbergen Triple

WITBIER
Sara
Troublette
Hoegaarden
Timmermanns Blanche Wit
Blanche de Neiges
Blanche de Bruges
Steendonk
Joseph Spelt Ale
Dentergem
Blanche de Bruxelles
Blanche de Charleroi
Titje

SOUR ALE
Rodenbach Red
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Rodenbach Alexander
Bellegems Bruin
Bacchus
Duchesse de Bourgogne
Goudenband
Petrus
Felix
Oud Zottegems
Vichtenaar
Ichtegem's Old Brown

BROWN ALE
Touffe Brune
Zatte Bie
Caracole
Leffe Brune
Gouden Carolus
Gildenbier
Scotch Silly
Kasteel
Verboden Vrucht
Vondel
Cuvee de Ermitage
Ciney Bruin
La Gauloise
Grottenbier

AMBER ALE
Urthel Tonicum Finiboldhus
Helleketelbier
Vervifontaine Red
Vieux Temps
Artevelde Grand Cru
Pauwel Kwak
Speciale Palm
Houten Kop
De Koninck
Bruegel
Satan Red
Brunehaut Amber

GOLDEN ALE
Hellekapelle
Saxo
Den Ostensche
Duvel
Deugniet
Lucifer
Delirium Tremens
Hoegaarden Grand Cru
Julius
Straffe Hendrick
Brigand
La Guillotine

SAISON
Saison d'Erezee
Black Ghost
Blonde de la pralie
Dupont Vieille Biere
Saison de Pipaix
Vapeur en Folie
Saison 1900
Saison Regal
Silly Saison
Saison d' Epeautre
Fantome

SPECIALTY BEER
Stille Nacht
Bush
Oerbier
Gulden Draak
La Chouffe
Piraat
Cochonette
Biere de Miel

BELGIAN PILS
Maes Pils
Stella Artois
Karibik
Bel Pils

There are some beers that I do not like and I challenge myself to identify precisely why I like or do not like it. We are homebrewers and we should take pride in being knowledgeable about beer and more importantly to be able to communicate to others what they should expect when they taste a particular beer that you have had. Believe me. I am not quite there yet, but I pledge to continue drinking until I am!

I read something in Beer Advocate that I took to heart. Essentially the sentiment was that we as homebrewers should be beer advocates for all beer, not just the ones we like.
</stumpspeech>

More info on Belgian Beers here.
http://www.belgianstyle.com/mmguide/index.html

ha, there's something really funny about someone who is trying to broaden their horizons beyond BMC going straight for the 120. It's a bit like someone who's never had weed before going straight for an 8-ball.

Evan! said:
ha, there's something really funny about someone who is trying to broaden their horizons beyond BMC going straight for the 120. It's a bit like someone who's never had weed before going straight for an 8-ball.

Haha... Well I'm not new to DFH, I had a case of their Indian Brown Ale a few months ago and really liked it. The 120 was really a stretch because I couldn't think off the top of my head of any other specific IPAs.

Since I am in Philly and its so expensive in this damn state, I'm heading down to a store in Delaware that sells singles. I just got their buying guide that has their complete selection so I plan on doing some research beforehand.

Thanks!

Try some stuff from Brooklyn Brewery. Garrett Oliver, the Brewmaster there, is dedicated to traditional styles and making great beer, rather than making extreme beer.

PearlJamNoCode said:
Haha... Well I'm not new to DFH, I had a case of their Indian Brown Ale a few months ago and really liked it. The 120 was really a stretch because I couldn't think off the top of my head of any other specific IPAs.

Since I am in Philly and its so expensive in this damn state, I'm heading down to a store in Delaware that sells singles. I just got their buying guide that has their complete selection so I plan on doing some research beforehand.

Thanks!

Well, maybe try the DHF 90 minute- that's a great one. I like the DFH 60 minute for every day drinking, and the 90 minute for "special" drinking. Good IPAs.

You can also try some macro-ish craft beers, like Sierra Nevada. And Stone and Rogue make great products to try. Bell's is good, too.

I'm not a huge lager fan, except for "specials" like Oktoberfests and Maibocks so I can't really help with a good choice there!

olllllo said:
I see you're in Philly... Go to Monk's cafe.

I'll second that. Might want to try Standard Tap too for some non-Belgians. Then you can walk across the street to the Foodery and pick up a few bottles for when you get home.

I tried what you want to do more than once. I have a package store nearby and they let you try different beers. They incourage you to try. You can take one right out of the six packs. This store has micro's from all over the country and import great beers from all over the world. I loved it. Now i know what i like and what i don't.

Back