Why I Wouldn't Drink Sam Adams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to just do the things I like and be who I am. If something I enjoy becomes popular then hopefully it'll help the cause. Take this hobby as perfect example of that. If it wasn't popular right now we wouldn't have access to homebrew clubs, fresh ingredients, better equipment, etc. ..
Life is easier and more enjoyable if you just worry about yourself and your family. Just have fun doing you!

And yes. Sam Adams isn't bad beer at all. You have to try something before you can say you don't like it :)

Isn't Sam Adam's lager more representative of a vienna style lager? What I mean is, adjunct isn't used. Which is essentially the definition of 'American Lager', no matter which color it is. The SA Website says these grain are used, "Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and Caramel 60". It may still be boring for some, but it is less typical of an American Lager than a European Lager. That said, hipsters have been around longer than 5 years? What were they in the 90's? Punk rockers?

Hipsters have been around a long time. In the 90s think Kramer from Seinfeld.

Isn't Sam Adam's lager more representative of a vienna style lager? What I mean is, adjunct isn't used. Which is essentially the definition of 'American Lager', no matter which color it is. The SA Website says these grain are used, "Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend and Caramel 60". It may still be boring for some, but it is less typical of an American Lager than a European Lager. That said, hipsters have been around longer than 5 years? What were they in the 90's? Punk rockers?

So Billy's a hipster??:p

I am way too old to be a hipster. I remember when # was simply the pound sign.

Thank god that allows me drink whatever I like.

Full disclosure- I like Sam Adams and look forward to their Oktoberfest every year.

Try a brewery tour at SA. Then go see and drink Harpoon at their brewery near downtown! Their IPA is the milder East coast variety. Beer garden with pretzels made from spent mash are out of this world. And as one Bostonian said on a flight-"thea knawt cowpowate"!

That doesn't sound 'Bostonian' at all . . . that sounds like Kripke from Big Bang Theory . . . He is a Caltech grad, and no self respecting 'Bostonian' would have attended Caltech.

So Billy's a hipster??:p

you must make amends for your transgression.

bring-me-beer-or-Ill-****ing-crush-your-balls.jpg

I just don't get the hipster "I like something until it is popular" idea. I like stuff because I like it. Really doesn't matter how many other people like it as well. If anything I've always felt like the "hipsters" of today do exactly what it is they supposedly don't like. They dress the way they do, eat what they do, drink what they do, all because it's the cool thing to do in their circle.

but more to the OP.. I agree that SA isn't too bad. I'd drink that over say a Miller or Coors any day.

I just don't get the hipster "I like something until it is popular" idea. I like stuff because I like it. Really doesn't matter how many other people like it as well. If anything I've always felt like the "hipsters" of today do exactly what it is they supposedly don't like. They dress the way they do, eat what they do, drink what they do, all because it's the cool thing to do in their circle.

but more to the OP.. I agree that SA isn't too bad. I'd drink that over say a Miller or Coors any day.

oh no doubt i'd drink it over a miller or a coors.

i think the problem with the thread is that i used the word hipster in the original post. should've never done that. basically was i was getting at was that i didn't ever give them a shot because they were so big by the time i got around to trying good beers. but i should've given them a shot a long time ago, i would have likely been able to try a lot more of their other offerings if i would've done that while i was still living state-side.

i think the problem with the thread is that i used the word hipster in the original post. should've never done that. basically was i was getting at was that i didn't ever give them a shot because they were so big by the time i got around to trying good beers. but i should've given them a shot a long time ago, i would have likely been able to try a lot more of their other offerings if i would've done that while i was still living state-side.

Nah.. I knew that's what you meant.. it's just the way the forum work, though. Sparks a question in someone's head for a response and then you end up eventually in a whole other conversation. lol we could end up talking about old candies or cereal.. or even popcorn again lol.

I never had a problem with your original post. I do have a problem with people who hate youth culture to the point that they feel like the have to degrade it somehow. Here's a list of youth culture movements for the past 100 years. There's a common thread: old people hated them.

Flappers
Greasers
Beatniks
Hippies
Mods
Punks
Hip Hop kids
Skins
New Wavers
Metal heads
Emo kids

That's the cliff note. Point being that kids will unite under various banners to express themselves and that old people hate change.

I never had a problem with your original post. I do have a problem with people who hate youth culture to the point that they feel like the have to degrade it somehow. Here's a list of youth culture movements for the past 100 years. There's a common thread: old people hated them.

Flappers
Greasers
Beatniks
Hippies
Mods
Punks
Hip Hop kids
Skins
New Wavers
Metal heads
Emo kids

That's the cliff note. Point being that kids will unite under various banners to express themselves and that old people hate change.

****... did you just call me old? i'm only 31!

Flappers
Greasers
Beatniks
Hippies
Mods
Punks
Hip Hop kids
Skins
New Wavers
Metal heads
Emo kids

EMOs still need to be beaten on a regular basis. we did that when I was young.

EMOs still need to be beaten on a regular basis. we did that when I was young.

EMO and the eye shadow... I wore that stuff for Halloween once... it's terrible.. don't understand how anyone could do it every day. akin to pouring hot lava in my eyes lol.

EMO and the eye shadow... I wore that stuff for Halloween once... it's terrible.. don't understand how anyone could do it every day. akin to pouring hot lava in my eyes lol.

but according to your username, you're still very into eye-liner???

I think you're very confused about what a hipster is.
"Bro" is not a hipster thing, that's like a jock or frat guy thing
And IPAs are not the hipster beer, they are the popular craft style, hipsters say they are played out. PBR is much more hipstery (which is why my hometown of Portland drinks more of it than anywhere else)

But I am glad you got over it and tried it anyways, popular or not, something should be judged just by its merits.

Oh and to answer someone else's question, I also hate lagers and don't generally try them or Vicks. I also hate Belgian beers.

And IPAs are not the hipster beer, they are the popular craft style, hipsters say they are played out. PBR is much more hipstery (which is why my hometown of Portland drinks more of it than anywhere else)

But I am glad you got over it and tried it anyways, popular or not, something should be judged just by its merits.

Oh and to answer someone else's question, I also hate lagers and don't generally try them or Vicks. I also hate Belgian beers.

I heard it's very hipster to hate Belgians, the people and the beer;)

Well I am from Portland so I probably got accidental hipster in me this is how we order beer back home
[ame]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b2kbg_hipsters-love-beer_fun[/ame]

Which Belgians? There are a few hundred.

Belgian style beers, all of them that I know of

i would love to see your like and don't like list for the next time i'm in the states.

Honestly, there's too many beers they make to have a one-by-one list, but in general, I don't care for the seasonals, I don't like their fruit beers, except for the Barrel Room series Kreik, and I don't care for Rauchbiers in general, so I pass on that one. There are a few others I'm not a fan of, but those are the general ones to start.

The post was, for me, like buying a Sam Adams variety 12 pack: my interest is piqued, but then I'm underwhelmed and ultimately dissatisfied.

If you are truly the type that likes something until it is popular, then you can't drink Craft beers- terribly popular. Don't continue to be a member at HBT, it has too many members.

I would suggest Pruno, it is hard to imagine it ever becoming popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back