Need critique - SMaSH RoLo IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing, and I'm learning about formulating recipes. I like the idea of SMaSH brews to learn more about a particular malt and hop. And I like that you can keep it simple.

So, I'm thinking about brewing a 2 Row and Amarillo (RoLo) IPA.

Let me know how you think I should tweak this:

5 gallon batch

13lbs 2 Row Malt

1oz Amarillo FWH
0.50oz Amarillo 60mins
0.50oz Amarillo 15mins
1.00oz Amarillo At turn off
2.00oz Amarillo Dry Hop

White Labs California Ale yeast

Single infusion mash 154F for 60mins
Single batch sparge 170F

Ferment in primary 68F for 30 days
No secondary

Thoughts?

Another option (in the vein of KISS) I thought of is to use only a FWH. I guess it'd be something like 2oz of Amarillo at FWH and that's it.

I like your idea of a 2-row Amarillo IPA. A couple things:

1. I would mash a little cooler to make sure it's nice and dry to let the hops shine. Maybe 150-152.
2. I think you could use a little more late hops. As a general rule, I like to have 4-5 oz of hops in the last 30 minutes for an IPA. I'm not sure how much FWH will add to the flavor though.

Thanks. I'll look at adjusting the hop schedule.

When you say your general guideline is 4-5oz in the last half hour, what range of a% do you normally use? I guess another way to ask that is how many AAUs would you be adding in the last half hour?

Thanks. I'll look at adjusting the hop schedule.

When you say your general guideline is 4-5oz in the last half hour, what range of a% do you normally use? I guess another way to ask that is how many AAUs would you be adding in the last half hour?

On an IPA I did a while back, here was my hopping schedule (I guess I lied on the 30 minute thing because I started at 35 minutes out):
Centennial 28g, 9.7% AA, 35 min
Horizon 22g, 12.1% AA, 35 min
Centennial 28g, 9.7% AA, 10 min
Cascade 28g, 5.0% AA, 10 min
Amarillo 28g, 7.5% AA, 0 min

Centennial 28g, 9.7% AA, Dry Hops, 12 days
Amarillo 28g, 7.5% AA, Dry Hops, 12 days

That was for 4.6 gallons at the end of the boil and an OG of 1.061. I really liked the hop profile, but I think I'm less sensitive to hops than most others. I think others would consider it pretty hoppy for an IPA. In that case, you might want to do more like 3oz of late hops.

Ok, how does this revised hop schedule look?

Amarillo 0.75oz First Wort Hops

Amarillo 0.25oz 60 mins
Amarillo 0.5oz 20mins
Amarillo 0.5oz 15mins
Amarillo 0.5oz 10mins
Amarillo 0.5oz 5mins
Amarillo 0.5oz Flame Out

Amarillo 1.0oz Dry Hops

Looks pretty good, but you lost 0.5oz of hop somewhere. I would like to see that in the dry hop, but I'm getting down to minor details now and personal preference. Let us know how it goes.

I think I've settled on this hop schedule:

Amarillo 1oz FWH

Amarillo 0.5oz 15mins
Amarillo 1oz 10mins
Amarillo 0.5oz 5mins
Amarillo 1oz Flame Out

Amarillo 1oz Dry Hop ~5 days

The IBUs aren't quite as high, but I think the flavors and aromas should be good.

Any other suggestions on this method? I'm about to do the same this weekend with 2-row and Simcoe. I haven't yet tried FWH, but plan on implementing that on my upcoming batch. I'm still kicking around different hop schedules, and am still on the fence as to how I'm going to schedule.

I intitially thought I'd do the FWH, and then have additions @ 30, 20, 10, and flameout, with a final dry hopping also. Would there be any benefit to include an addition prior to 30 minutes on a 60 minute boil, for this type of recipe?

I enjoy anything that resembles SNPA, Celebration, and DFH 60-minute, so I do like my hops.

Back