Can Aluminum CO2 Tank Go Stale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockwom

Reaction score
I took a hiatus from kegging because I wanted to dedicate my chest freezer to controlled fermentation, and focus on bottling and honing my brewcraft.

Now I'm returning to kegging, and I have an aluminum CO2 tank last filled two years ago. (Got it from an exchange system, lucky that it's in such great shape -- I plan on certifying and refilling it from now on)

I know aluminum is non-corrosive, but can the liquid CO2 go 'stale' in this container? Are there any safety risks with suddenly using it again?

I ask, because I plan to rack a beer into a keg in a week or two, and am not interested in ruining it with bad CO2. I do plan on cleaning and sanitizing all my QD, and replacing vinyl lines.

Second question: is it necessary to clean/sanitize anything else?

no. co2 cannot go bad. we have lots of it floating around us that hasn't gone rancid in many many years.

use it in good health

yes, sanitize the crap out of everything - I would replace all old tubing and hoses, racking canes, soak those QD's in starsan for a while.

Thank you! Most people wouldn't let a CO2 tank go unused like I did, but alas...

I will indeed observe careful sanitation, but do people regularly sanitize gas-specific components?

I used to have my tank lying around here full for a year. Since I don't have my kegerator up and running yet for the Last 6 months I been using it to blow up an inflatable air mattress for my drunk friends haha

Back