Kolsch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
I'm about to try brewing a Kolsch for the first time. The recipe says it will benefit from a long, cold secondary. Imho, pretty much all beer does. Does Kolsch require this more than other styles? And since I don't have a lagering fridge, is it worth lugging the carboy into the basement (@ 63 degrees)? Thanks

Sometimes kolsch yeast can produce a nasty sulfur smell that will clear up in cold conditioning. Also, the yeast is usually low floculating so the cold helps that too. I would put it in the basement from the beginning, 63F is a good temp for a Kolsch primary. Make a nice big starter though.

The Wyeast 2565 is definitely a low floculating yeast, but I didn't notice any sulfur smells when I racked to secondary.
I just bottled yesterday after a 2 week secondary kept in the low/mid 60's. It was pretty darn clear.
your mileage may vary :)

I have a Kolsch that i submitted to a local contest and it scored 41 on the BJCP scale. My basement is 65 year round and that was where it fermented and rested until i put it in the fridge that is sitting at about 36 degrees.

I think you are doing the right thing lugging it downstairs.

Back