Bottling with used bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenBeer

Reaction score
I have always used grolsch style bottles for my bottling needs in the past but recently I have wanted to use a capper because i have a ton of caps. I was wondering though on the bottles i have been told i can use any style that fits your cap but does that also apply for twist off bottles? or do i have to only use pry bottles?

It's not the cap that is the issue, it is the capping tool you're using.

Most of the handheld cappers can only do pry-off bottles, whereas some of the table-mounted cappers can do both pry off and twist off.

My recommendation: stick with pry-off bottles only - there's less risk of leakage.

I have a table-mounted capper, and have tried using some twist off bottles, they don't seem to seal well. They also get stuck in the capper and I have to use a lot of force to get them out. Not worth it in my opinion. When you buy commercial beers, limit yourself to ones with pry-off caps for awhile, and tell your friends to do the same!

Pryoff bottles are recommended, but give a twist off a shot. Fill it (with water), cap it, and see if it leaks.

I have been told that twist-off bottles are thinner and more prone to breaking from bottling conditioning. Honestly, I don't really know. I really like to bottle in Sierra Nevada Stubbies though.

Cool, good conversation, and I appreciate it. I have some Ice houses that are twist off and I will give a try with blow water* and see how they seal. Ill come back and tell how it went, but I am not certain about it and thought I would throw that out there for the community. * blow water is some bs thing that my freind came up with that is carbinator water that is 2x more carbinated than beer to test lines and other items one would brew with.

I use twist-offs because I can get them for free and I have found (in my rather limited time as a homebrewer - 5 batches) that they seem to be fine. Granted, I am in Canada and from everything I've read our bottles are thicker than those found in the USA. I do use a bench capper, which in my research is the suggested tool for tho job. So far I haven't experienced any leaking bottles and they all seem to hold carbonation perfectly well.

There's always the risk of a bottle breaking. Just take a look at the bottle to make sure there aren't any stress marks in the glass (not to say that unstressed glass can't break either).

Back