Wort On Foam Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenSeaScourge

Reaction score
so i made my first starter using one of those NB foam stoppers...

stupidly, i swirled the wort around a little too vigorously after pitching the yeast. i didn't soak the stopper but some of the wort "crept" up into the bottom of it.

yank it out and throw some foil on top of the flask or just let it be? what are the chances of contamination if do leave it alone? guess i'll be buying a stirplate soon...

so i made my first starter using one of those NB foam stoppers...

stupidly, i swirled the wort around a little too vigorously after pitching the yeast. i didn't soak the stopper but some of the wort "crept" up into the bottom of it.

yank it out and throw some foil on top of the flask or just let it be? what are the chances of contamination if do leave it alone? guess i'll be buying a stirplate soon...

Let it be. No contaminants will make it through the foam stopper. After you empty the flask, simply soak the stopper in some Oxyclean, rinse it well with tap water and then drench it with Star San. Squeeze as much of the Star San out as possible and then simply let it air dry. Give it another shot of Star San and a good squeeze just prior to the next use. I've been doing it this way for a very long time with no problems.

I highly recommend a stir plate. You can propagate a lot more yeast in a much shorter time period using one. Well worth the expense or effort if you are a DIY type. I recommend using at least a 2 liter flask for your starters.

Back