Most overrated high priced beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than some of the ones mentioned that I do agree with, I would have to add anything from Blue moon, Post Road and a re-post of Magic Hat. I wanted to like the Magic hat, and kept trying to get into it, but it was a craft beer, but dialed way back IMHO.

I have to stick up for Guinness, Victory (how can you not like hop devil???) and Sam Adams. All three are on my order list at a bar when the selection of good beer is limited.

I've always disliked Arrogant Bastard. Some people really praise it but I'm not sure if they do it to act different or really do like it. I can't stand it and it's $$$.

Sam Adams Triple Bock.

There, I said it. That stuff might be good on pancakes, but even then only a few bites.

I'm going to give some love to Magic Hat. I *really* liked the Roxy Rolles, a pretty aggressively hopped red/amber ale. I had it right after I brewed Murder In The Red Barn, and it really was pretty close to what I was shooting for with that brew. But, #9 does nothing for me at all.

Almost all Unibroue beers. They all tasted gross - "hot" and nasty. Yech. Maybe I had a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is wrong.

The Wit was great though.

Rhoobarb said:
:off: Really! If so, I'm gonna have to make a road trip. Beats going all the way to St. Louis! I love their Bully Porter! Can you get Schlafly, too?

Schlafly and Boulevard. I can get them at Friar Tuck in Springfield. Not sure about the one in Peoria, that would be closer for you, but I'd call first. :D But if you end up road tripping down this way at some point let me know.

Ize

Cheesefood said:
Almost all Unibroue beers. They all tasted gross - "hot" and nasty. Yech. Maybe I had a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is wrong.

The Wit was great though.

Yeah i had their wit, last week and loved it. Decided to try their triple. and it was by far the worst Belgian attempt i have ever had. Very harsh alc. taste. My first ag is going to be the wit clone.

To say anything Dogfish Head is a bit harsh I think. They certainly have their dramatically overpriced way-too-sweet beers out there, like their Oak-Aged IIPA, and the straight up IIPA is too sweet and expensive in my opinion too.

But...

They do have some beers that are fantistic, like the 60 minute IPA. For you 60min fans, you absolutely need to try the Apricot IPA; its the 60min with a taste of apricots. It too is quite expensive though (@ $10-$12 for a four pack), but worth buying every once in a while.

There were some jeers at Rogue's beers too that I can't fully agree with. I like the majority of the beers, but feel that the high price is due to the decorative bottling. Rogue takes pride in their labelling antics, and most Rogue fans happily pay for the beer and the fun bottles, despite the price.

5gB

TxBrew said:
I've always disliked Arrogant Bastard. Some people really praise it but I'm not sure if they do it to act different or really do like it. I can't stand it and it's $$$.
I tried this beer for the first time last night, it was on special. Well it was definitely not my thing. I drank it but i definitely would never pay full price for it.

Guiness = Bad
Mentioned earlier on in the thread about the paucity of beers on tap over in my part of the world (ireland).
This is in no smalll part down to guiness who have managed the licenced pub trade in ireland like an angry pimp looking after his beatches.
They dictated what was sold in the pub, you take guiness you take the other stable mates to the exclusivity of all others.
Its only really now with some of the other pub chains entering the market that the control is being wrested from the all powerful guiness.
Good stout, bad company, just remember ever time you sit down to drink an overpriced guiness you are paying money into the coffers of a company( based in London i may add), who have made it their business to extinguish all beers other than their own, the sad thing is they have largely acheived this :( in irleand at least.

delboy said:
Guiness = Bad
This is in no smalll part down to guiness who have managed the licenced pub trade in ireland like an angry pimp looking after his beatches.
who have made it their business to extinguish all beers other than their own, .

You've jusk killed all my romantic notions of Ireland. I envisioned it like those "Irish Spring" commercials.

hmm I always kind of wondered if Guiness was in many ways the Budweiser of Ireland. after reading Delboy's post I guess the answer is yes. In the sense of fooling the population into thinking that their beer is superior to all others. Difference being Guiness though overhyped is a good solid brew. Bud on the other hand... well we all know what the forum thinks of it.

joshpooh said:
hmm I always kind of wondered if Guiness was in many ways the Budweiser of Ireland. after reading Delboy's post I guess the answer is yes. In the sense of fooling the population into thinking that their beer is superior to all others. Difference being Guiness though overhyped is a good solid brew. Bud on the other hand... well we all know what the forum thinks of it.

Your'e right joshpooh guiness is good thats why they had such a stranglehold over here in the past, it would have been inconceivable to have a bar in ireland with no guiness.
At least in the states budweiser had coors and miller etc to keep them on their toes and they have made their beers so popular largely by massive revenues pumped into clever advertising.
Guiness's approcah was more of an iron-fist, we know customers won't come to your bar without guiness being served, so if you want it you'll take our other beers and serve nothing else.

The states at least before prohibition had a multitude of breweries and thankfully you's seem to be returning to that place again.

Over here you can count independent breweries on one hand, the oldest of which was founded in wait for it .............. 1981.
And its only really a pub that happens to make their own beer, they get the odd guest pump in wetherspoons and they sell at beer festivals, but after speaking to them its the food they serve on the premises that keeps them afloat, shows you how difficult it is to take on the big guys with their aggressive policies.

While the states had a three headed monster, ireland had the unblinking single eye of sauran/guiness :D

photogscott said:
You've jusk killed all my romantic notions of Ireland. I envisioned it like those "Irish Spring" commercials.

IT IS :) , you'd still have great craic in the bars even if you don't have much choice in what you drink in them.

Finally tried New Belgium's Abbey Ale. Yuck. Can't even finish the six pack....well, maybe if i'm already drunk off something else :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, BTW...someone had mentioned consistency before. I noticed with this six pack that EVERY BOTTLE was filled to a different level. this brewer is a joke.

I also hear that in Ireland if you drink Guinness thats all you drink. If you drink Beamish thats all you drink as a culture. And if a female asks for a pint she is thought of as "trashy". Females get a bottle and a small glass to drink out of. My cousin (female) who lives over there gets really pissed about that.

sause said:
I also hear that in Ireland if you drink Guinness thats all you drink. If you drink Beamish thats all you drink as a culture. And if a female asks for a pint she is thought of as "trashy". Females get a bottle and a small glass to drink out of. My cousin (female) who lives over there gets really pissed about that.

Some of the older generation are very set in there ways and will drink only one thing, the barman will even set them a pint up without asking when they walk in the door. Again though i think that this is because they grew up having no choice.
Where as young people who do now have more choice tend to drinks lots of different things as the mood takes them.

I must not move in the same circles as your cousin, i know some woman that can sink a pint quicker than me and they get applauded for it.
That said most woman drink shorts but that tends to be their choice, 'i don't like the taste of beer' or 'i don't want to run to the toilet all night', 'it fills me up to much' etc etc.
Maybe in some of the country pubs the room would go silent if a woman ordered a pint but i've never experioenced it.

I know that this is not in the spirit of the thread, but I want to actually come out in favor of a couple of stouts that I think are favorably priced and very good. Murphy's and Mackesson have not been mentioned in this thread yet and I think that is a good thing, unless of course most people don't really drink them. I know that most people have to know of Murphy's, but I think Mackesson has been mentioned on this forum only twice before (both times by me :D ).

I tend to prefer the sweeter stouts, but will enjoy a Guiness on occasion. Some beers are priced high, but are still worth it if you're not out to get drunk. Bell's sells here for $11 a sixer, but the frequency with wich I purchase it, I'm okay with that.

5gBrewer said:
To say anything Dogfish Head is a bit harsh I think. They certainly have their dramatically overpriced way-too-sweet beers out there, like their Oak-Aged IIPA, and the straight up IIPA is too sweet and expensive in my opinion too.

I'm just saying that DFH is just one of them popular beers that are sold at "import price" and I often wonder why would anyone pay good money for that beer. I'd pay 9.49 for six pack of pilsner urquell over DFH 60 minute any day of the week. Heck I'd be more inclined to spend another buck and get a six pack of bigfoot (when it's available)!;)

Magic Hat - Overpriced and not that good. The only beer they make that I like is their Batch 376, but here in Upstate, NY finding it, is few and far beteen. I think Sam Adams is a little overpriced. I'm not saying I don't like it, but I think its costly for their beer. Warsteiner is overpriced as well and not that good!

Baron von BeeGee said:
Incidentally, I had a Rogue Imperial Pilsner tonight with hamburgers with Rogue Creamery smoked bleu cheese. It was very upscale.

Those are two of my favorite things :) Their imperial pilsner is money but one of my favorite beers. The smoky blue cheese is also fantastic, alas not the same company.

The only magic hat I've ever had was the HiPA which I thought was pretty good. I'm a big rogue fan too, but only certain one's. Imperial Pilsner, Imperial Stout, Shakespear Stout and Brutal Bitter are all really good. Bell's Two Hearted Ale is also fantastic, and the expedition stout is really good although seriously expensive ($18 a 6 pack).

On overpriced beers, I'd second the belgian comment but it's just not my taste, no offence to anyone :)

I'll put on my flame suit here: the two beers I've ever regretted paying so much money for are Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Fred from the Wood. I like arrogant bastard but couldn't do the oaked version. Gave away the rest of the 6 pack which I think cost around $16. Fred from the Wood cost me something like $14 for a bottle in a restaraunt and I could only get down half of it... Both are oak aged, so I guess I'm not a fan of that either. Reminds me too much of whisky, which reminds me too much of overdoing it in college and vomiting half the night...

Glibbidy said:
I'm just saying that DFH is just one of them popular beers that are sold at "import price" and I often wonder why would anyone pay good money for that beer. I'd pay 9.49 for six pack of pilsner urquell over DFH 60 minute any day of the week. Heck I'd be more inclined to spend another buck and get a six pack of bigfoot (when it's available)!;)

Pshaw.

While DFH could drop a buck per sixer in price and I'd be happy, I guess I'm just so used to getting my stuff at wholesale cost anyway, I don't complain. DFH isn't the greatest craftbrew, but most of it is damn fine.

Urquell (the Urquell we get here in the states) is skunky and hideous. How anyone could pay even normal BMC prices for it (much less the "premium" price is costs) just goes to show how much people can be influenced by the exoticism of foreign "rare" beers, regardless of quality. I don't mean any offense to you personally, I really don't, but I've never had an Urquell that was less skunked than Rolling Rock, and that's saying alot. Maybe Urquell is good back where it comes from (it probably is), but not here. I blame the green bottles and the international distributor regime.

Ramblings.
I was on a business trip to Baltimore and wanted to do some local beer sampling. Maybe I got a spoiled Yuengling, but I dumped it. Horrible. I had a liquor store employee introduce me to Stoudt's Lager and DFH 90 min. Both I thought were great. I agree the DFH is too pricey, so I brewed my own clone. Came out pretty close. I want to try the 60 Min as well.

Back out west, I tried a Rogue MIP. It was OK, but definitely not worth anything like the price. Cool bottle though. SNPA and Fat Tire Amber are just not my type of beer. The Fat Tire 1554 I definitely liked. My local super rotates through putting the premiums on sale, so I'll pick up Spaten, Redhook ESB, Stone IPA etc. then.

Although I'm normally a fan of the brand, the Sierra Nevada Summerfest was a HUGE disappointment for me this year.

I was outside BBQing, my wife brings out a beer for me in a lager glass, I took a swig, smelled it, and went "Is this a PBR?" because it tasted EXACTLY like canned PBR I keep around for beer can chicken and giving to folks that don't like hoppy homebrews. She was so offended, but seriously, the Sierra Nevada Summerfest tasted just like it.

Fast forward to last night, and there it is on the menu at the local sports bar. Premium prices and all. I just tucked in with some Black Diamond Amber and watched others buy overpriced pitchers of Summerfest.

Hieniken is probably our worst lager next to one called Carling.
Its cheap, over carbonated and tasteless.
I've been to Amsterdam and the difference is unbelievable, its malty, strong and has a great smell to it.
You're right about Guiness as well.
I recently went on a brewing course at a university in England and i made a Russain Imperial stout.
On my first attempt it was the best stout the lecturers had tasted!
We did a taste profile of several micro brewed stouts and porters and then we tried Guiness and it didn't taste of anything.
Consistency is all they have going for them.
To say its brewed in Dublin (1 hour flight from me) it costs about £3 a pint in the UK ($6) when an average micro brewed beer only costs about £2.20.

Glibbidy said:
ANYTHING by dogfishead!

Sorry guys, gotta respectfully disagree re: Dogfish Head.

Their limited editions are expensive, but for a reason. Who else is making 18% BEER (Olde School and 120M). Granted, I think both of these need to age a LOT longer than they have been.

I've been really REALLY impressed by DFH Red & White, Burton Baton, and Black & Blue.

But I'm getting off topic...

I'm gonna agree with almost anything by Shiner, Sam Adams, or Red Hook being overpriced. They just aren't as good as they get billed.

I am not crazy about Yuengling, but I think it's priced about right for mass-market cheap beer that still has SOME tatse.

Baron von BeeGee said:
That seems to work for "the country's oldest brewery", as well - Yuengling (or however you spell it). Barely a quarter notch above BMC. The true shame is that all the great buffalo wings places seem to think it's the pinnacle of beerdom.

about five years ago, wasn't plank road brewery (icehouse) the oldest brewery in america? it's all marketing!

This thread was fun reading. I like places that will give you a small taste for free before you fork out 5 to 7 buck for a beer.

One thing, If I lived in Germany, I bet there would not be any bitching (at least from me). Hi prices are usually at tourist places and I've only had one bad beer there, and it was called Schmidtbrau, I called it sh1tbrau in Bavaria. Nastiest German beer ever.

chthonik said:
I am not crazy about Yuengling, but I think it's priced about right for mass-market cheap beer that still has SOME tatse.

There was a time not too long ago when you could get Lord Chesterfield Ale for $13 a case...it was worth it then. The Porter is definitely more drinkeable than many of the other normal restaurant/bar offerings....not great but drinkeable.

Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite.....they're over-marketed, over-rated in the volumes in which they sell and priced too high for the quality of drink you chug.

Save your money and drink PBR, Beast Lite or Busch Lite if you're gonna drink domestic mass-market beer.

SERIOUSLY,

The Magic Hat #9 on draft....not worth it.

Schlenkerla said:
I was paying $7.00 a bottle for Pauliners at the Pittsburg Airport Hyat. Yuenglings were 5.50 each. I figure if I'm going to get raped I'll at least drink something that I really like.

+1. If you are going to bend over anyway, it aught to be drinkable. :cross:

Obviously Heineken and Corona will ALWAYS take #1 and #2.

I think Blue Moon is charging for the top of this list, too. Too many Joe-Six-Packs are starting to get behind it and proclaim it as the greatest beer ever. I think it's "meh" without the fruit, and "bleeeecchh" with the fruit.

Harp has to be up there. It's strikingly mediocre and should not command a premium price.

Magic Hat is 90% marketing, and most of what they make seems like someone was focusing too much thinking up names and packaging art and not doing enough tasting. But they do turn out some good ones from time to time. I think Roxy Rolles is a good beer.

Stone Brewing Company has some overrated and overpriced beers. I think Double Bastard is one of them. I haven't tried too many of Stone's products lately so I won't write them off completely. I remember liking Ruination.

Sam Adams is a mixed bag. I haven't tried everything they make, but most of what I've had has been "off" in one way or another. Boston Lager is good when it's good, but I've had some bad BL from time to time. I remember thinking Cherry Wheat was one of the worst beers I've ever tasted, and that's about when I stopped trying most of the other SA products.

I will defend Yuengling because it is palatable (not great, but good for a football beer) and it's FRIGGING CHEAP! How can $15/case be considered overpriced, even if it tastes just marginally better than the BMC/30-pack beers? (As an aside, I find the canned Lager actually tastes better than the bottled stuff most of the time.) Another aside-- the reason why Yuengling is still able to claim being the "oldest" is because they are the oldest one of the few who didn't shut down at any point during Prohibition. They stayed alive making near-beer and other products.

Back to the topic at hand...

I have throw the BS flag on most of the people who say "anything by Dogfish Head". To make such a statement, you have to have tried everything they make, which is damn near an impossible feat unless you live near one of the DFH brew-pubs and go there regularly. There are LOTS of different offerings throughout each season and they are all over the map as far as style, flavor, and even pricing. Some are good, some are not, and some are just so strange I can't really make up my mind. I can handle people who knock the 90 minute and 120 minute (the prices are VERY high, even if you like the stuff.) My pet peeve with DFH is that often, by the time I get around to trying one of their seasonals and discover I like it, it's nearly sold out for the season. :( Living with PA's beer laws also makes it hard to get small quantities at a decent price, which is a big part of my problem. I do like the Indian Brown Ale and the Raison d'etre, which are always available by the case at what I consider a reasonable price. I had a sampling of Raison d'EXTRA at Winterfest and it was quite tasty, but I don't know if I would pay their price for it.

I finally tried some Molson. Tasted skunky; otherwise very boring. Over-priced. How can these people get away with charging more for skunky imports?

A quick comment regarding Sam Adams: I really wouldn't think it was over-priced if it weren't for the dirt-cheap cases of BMC sitting right next to it.

Really, compared to homebrew, most beer out there is over-priced.

Back