Learned a good one today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
24 hours after pitch there can be a lot of CO2 in the mead.. :drunk:

I picked up the energizer and nutrient that I could not find yesterday (maybe my dogs ate it) and I mixed it into the mead. When I started to stir it (quickly) the mead foamed right up and out the top. Made a good mess. Man that came quick. lol

note to self and other new mead makers, when stiring the must while fermenting do it slowly until it degasses.

Oh...Hey....Be very careful adding Nutrient to your mead....I can foam over pretty quickly....See If I'd not been drinking yesterday....I could have saved you some paper towels.

Good One!

...I picked up the energizer and nutrient that I could not find yesterday (maybe my dogs ate it) and I mixed it into the mead. When I started to stir it (quickly) the mead foamed right up and out the top. Made a good mess. ...note to self and other new mead makers, when stiring the must while fermenting do it slowly until it degasses.
Quite true... BTW, my Staggered Nutrient Addition FAQ includes a caution about this issue,
Be CAREFUL when you add these nutrients as you can get quite a bit of foaming... This "aggressive mixing" has the added effect of degassing the must of CO2, which is beneficial to yeast health - minimizes CO2 Toxicity.

Back