No light on the beer? Wait...WHAT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Nothing in my instructions of the Mr Beer (I know...dont judge me :)) said I needed to keep it dark. I read where you need to wrap a dark shirt or cover around it to keep out light...Do I need to cover this puppy up?

keep it in a dark room/closet, or throw a t shirt over it, ive heard that over exposure to light can cause a skunky taste.

Put it in a closet if you can for 2 reasons. Any kind of light can hurt the beer and make it skunk like. You also want to keep the temp steady, depending on the yeast usually somewhere between 50 and 70 but you don't want it jumping around a lot like by a heater or in your garage the gets cold at night and warm during the day.

I brewed a Mr. beer kit as my first brew ever and I left it in my kitchen. I think the brown fermentation bucket helps keep the light out.

well damn! Ill be covering it up tomorrow. dont wanna move it. Will moving it hurt?

Moving around is fine. Now I wouldn't shake it all up but you can certainly just carry it around. Also, a few minutes of light isn't going to hurt it, but leaving it out all day everyday could. Toss a towel on it after you move but don't worry about it while you move it.

provided you don't spill it, you're fine moving it wherever. the headspace should be all CO2 so the small amount of sloshing around as you move shouldn't oxidize it or anything, although I wouldn't shake the heck out of it or anything

I left mine in my kitchen sometimes covered sometimes not. I covered mine more for warmth than light though. The Mr. Beer keg is brown to keep the light from causing issues with the beer (just like the brown bottles we all use!)

Not enough. Brown bottles let the least amount of UV light in. But they aren't light proof. It'll skunk if left uncovered long enough. Cover it with a dark tee shirt. I do that with my fermenters.

The Brown will help protect the beer from the UV damage and resulting taste that light causes. The brown bottles/fermenter will not stop it entirely. Keeping beer and future beer in a dark place will promote longer lasting tasty beverages.

Back