How long will crushed grain stay good to use if refrigerated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rld04

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I got some grain from my LHBS, a two-hearted clone, and had them crush it for me. School, work and family took over so I never got to brewing that day. The grain has been in my Fridge for almost 2 weeks. How long will it stay good/usable or did I wait too long already? Thanks for the info!

It should be fine although I wouldn't store grain in the refrigerator, too much humidity. Treat it like you would any cereal product and keep it in a cool and dry place.

I brewed an ESB last winter that I had bought the grains crushed on black Friday and didn't brew it until January. The beer nerd at the LHBS complimented it and I replied would you believe that I brewed it with grains that had been crushed for 2 months and didn't have optimum Fermentation temps he was amazed. Keep them sealed up and dry and you can have great success.

I got 3rd place on a beer that was made with grains that were purchased and crushed 4.5 months before brewing. The grains sat in a spare bedroom in the sealed bag in which they came.

DudesLakeWalk.jpg

Back