Can Use this Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuelie

Reaction score
48 hours ago I attempted to make my first starter. The yeast I pitched was California ALE 051. Unfortunately, I opened the cap too quickly and I lost about 25% of the vial. This is a two liter starter with 7 ounces of DME. I also added a Yeast Fuel as a booster during the boil

Room temp is 72 degrees and agitation is by swirling the culture every couple of hours. I had hoped to pitch this yesterday but at 24 hours the culture only showing minor activity and the bottom of the jar appeared to have a 1/16 inch of yeast. Now, at 48 hours the activity has increased significantly and the yeast cake at the bottom of the jar is now approximately 3/16".

Should I just start over or can this be saved?

Thanks for your advice

I would absolutely use the starter, the yeast will build up sufficient numbers for fermentation without any major consequence.

Thanks for your reply.

As I am currently away from home, do you think that I can wait until tomorrow a.m. to pitch?

This would put the culture at 72 hours.

Perhaps I am just a bit too cautious, but this batch is will a Bears Republic Hop Rod Rye that my son wants for his birthday so am really trying not to mess it up.

Thanks for your responses

I've had a Hop Rod Rye Clone bottled for about a month. What a awesome beer. The spiciness of the rye with those hops! :)

The starter sounds like a starter! I would decant, warm, and pitch!

Back