How long will a 5# tank last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I finally set up my kegging system today and started force carbing my steam beer. I got the tank filled today and started with around 900 psi. I called my fiance just now from work and asked her to check in on it and she says it's down to the red zone! It's sitting in the Sanyo, temp's at 40, and the gas is going in at 10 psi. I checked the system this morning and didn't notice any leaks. Is this normal for a 5# CO2 tank? What can I do? Thanks!

It probably is reading low due to it being cold. If there are no leaks then it is said you should get 5-8 kegs out of it. I'm on #5 with my first tank.

Dang.......steam beer sounds really good. I may have to change by brewing plans. :)

Steam beer is good! On final gravity test I made the bride-to-be try it and she liked it. She's not one for hoppy beers, but this made one her go "mmmm."

It will always be in the red zone in the fridge. And most people say that a 5lb tank lasts around 8-10 kegs.

I had heard 8-10 kegs, so it's good to hear it's the cold. When she told me it was around 400 I flipped! I feel better now and really wish I could go home and drink some of it now. Sigh... one more week of this nasty shift, then it's back to normal.

Yep mine lasts about 8 kegs. Cold will make it read lower...BUT some shops won't actually fill your tank but just pressurize it...bastards...make sure you go to a reputable shop that actually FILLS with c02.

Back