time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quadruple triple double hint - I just posted to another thread, in which I have posted about this beer before and just posted about it again. Work on your Sherlocking skills, y'all.

For example, here's how I solved the last one: his signature included his Untappd username. On Untappd, he had quite helpfully posted every beer he's brewed, which included a saison with two unusual adjuncts. It wasn't a huge leap to realize that it was the beer he had posted, most likely with the assumption that it would take a while for someone to guess cucumber and jalapeno. And that is not the only technique I've used to bust this game wide open; you'll see from my history that deductive reasoning helps as well. But still, a little research technique (I learned that from my librarian wife, God bless her) combined with common sense goes a long way not only in the game, but in life as well.

Maybe that's why I like this game so much. Combines beer with library research skills and deductive reasoning. Anyway, someone put this one to bed so I can get on with playing instead of waiting!

Hmm... I felt like I had been dominating this game, but looking back over it my showing is above average at best. I retract my trash-talking and my "bust this game wide open" statement. I blame the 3 hours of sleep last night plus the working of 12 hours on Saturday.

In my defense I was so proud of https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/ti...ictures-game-252536/index988.html#post6054568 (obscure style/adjunct on the first guess, second overall guess with no hints) and this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/ti...ictures-game-252536/index990.html#post6060151 (EXTREMELY obscure style in 2 guesses with deductive reasoning) that I felt invincible.

Anyway, someone please nail this one to continue the game.

Not Stone, nothing Belgian about it. Style is distinctly American, although it was inherited from a British style named after a South Asian country. If you take that style, and then duplicate the first letter, you'll have the style of this beer.

Lol .Grapefruit Orange double India pale ale

Hangar 24 Essence??? Good grief, that one was not easy!!

It is in fact Hangar 24 Essence. Double IPA with cascade and zythos, with grapefruit, blood oranges and navel oranges in the secondary. I didn't get a bottle shot, but I'm going to post the label anyway because I love their art style.
Essence-Illustration.png

Triplehazzard is up next for getting the style.

Alright! Well, I'm going to open this one up for someone else to take a turn. I don't have a beer in front of me this evening, and I won't have a chance to crack one for the next couple days, so please, someone else feel free to put one up!

I'll do it! Since I've thrown a few up for grabs, I'll take this one.

Style plus one adjunct. You must be very specific with the adjunct, and there are two different styles that this beer could be called but I'll only accept one of them (BeerAdvocate is the decider).

20140811_181841.jpg

Hint: adjunct (in its basic form) is very common on this thread. If you guess the specific kind of that adjunct, you will know the exact beer.

Double triple quadruple hint:

You can probably now figure out what was in the barrel (if not liquor)

Match that up with the color of the beer.

Do a couple of google searches for what you now know is a specific type of the thing that was in the beer. There are only a few distinct varietals of that. If you guess the right one, Google will tell you the specific beer (which is a better bet than guessing the style because it's at the same time very specific and very vague)

Back