CDN Digital Probe Thermometer, Timer & Clock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had something like that from IKEA. I thought I was pretty slick using in the boil pot to monitor temps during cooling. I can't remember if it was the first or second use but I was running my ice water and pump through my immersion chiller and it would not get below a certain temp. I do not know how long I sat there looking at the same temp before I realized. It Usually takes around 10 minutes to cool. Turns out the element had gotten damaged and stuck at whatever temp and I had cooled my wort way below pitching temp. It is a nice idea setup by I no longer for cheap options to accomplish this. Timers are cheap, get a temp probe designed for the conditions you will be putting it in.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=9998
any one use this or any of the other cdn probe thermometer

The probes are not water proof and they fail miserably when they get wet. I think Bobby M has a thread where he shows you how to waterproof them. It's not the best thermometer for brewing. It's really a meat thermometer and they usually don't last very long when used in brewing. This little thermometer from ThermoWorks is only $19 and is totally waterproof. Unfortunately it does not have a timer.

I think the CDN makes the single piece probe thermo that a lot of home brew stores make that is waterproof, and recalibratable and has a hold function. I really like the remote probe deals like the one you posted here but they should charge $20 more and make them more accurate and include an auto calibrate feature. I mean + / - 2% accuracy?

Latest posts

Back