Gushers in a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube

Reaction score
I had to leave a wheat ale sitting in primary for a couple months after fermentation ended, and didn't get a chance to bottle until last Monday. However, I popped a test bottle and ended up getting almost instant foam-over. A second test bottle had the same problem, and even a half-full bottle of leftover beer that I had set aside foamed over. This was my first batch using Munton's tabs (4 per bottle); I know that tabs can sometimes cause overcarbonation, but I would have thought that it'd take longer than 8 days to get to that point. Did I do something wrong?

Did I do something wrong?

Yeah you opened it after only 8 days...Regardless of whether or not is was muntons, you opened it at a point where although there was co2 present in the headspace, it hadn't fully integrated into solution. In other words it wasn't carbed yet.

Take a look at the video in my blog, and you will see exactly what your beer did, and he explains why. Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Come back in at least 2 more weeks, then chill the beer for at least 48 hours and carbonation should be evened out.

:mug:

What size bottles? Seems as if I remember hearing it's two tabs for a 12oz.

Back